Fly Fishing Forum banner

Two-handed Rods - Length Question

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  PopnesetBay 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase a two-handed rod for fishing Big Flies for Big stripers, I want the two hander primarily because I injured my casting elbow.

Seems there are only two companies that design such rods for the surf - The CND oceana and the LL Bean Wei. Both rods are about 11'.

There are several companies that make true spey rods (disclaimer I know nothing about spey fishing so I may be wrong on many of my assumptions) these rods are generally longer in the 14' class.

I test cast Dble Haul's CND Atlantis and I must say I like it, though I didn't cast it too well I'm sure I can learn. What he does with that rod is inspiring.

I called the LL Bean hotline to ask about the Wei rod. The guy I spoke with advised that a 14' rod can be cast overhead two handed style, as well as spey style. He went on to say he really didn't know why the surf rod was designed to be a relatively short 11'. He even advised that I purchase a much cheaper 14' rod, with the argument being that fly casting is physics and that if 11' is good 14' is better.

I plan to test cast both styles of rod, but there is only so much you can learn on a casting pool and I know there are many years of two-handed experience on this forum. That Juro especially designed the CND rod. Why 11'? Is it the simply logistics of having to lug around a 14' rod? The ease of under arming it so you can make a two-handed retrieve? Or any one of a million other factors I'm probably not even considering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

See less See more
#2 ·
Beach Rod

Check out the G.Loomis site or call (800) 456-6647. They are supposedly introducing a "Crosscurrent Beach Rod" series. A 10/11 @425gr and a 12/13 @525gr. Both are to be 11'3" for 35 to 40' heads. At least thats what in Sept 06 "Fly Fish America" issue.(pg 31). To be intro'd at 2007 Fly Fishing Retailer World Trade Expo.

Pete

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. My all time favorite rod is my old GLX 10wt so if Loomis has a entry in the two-handed arms race I'm more than interested.

That 11' mark keeps comming up, must be something to it. I even looked up a Beulah Switch rod that was recommended on this forum and again its about 11'.

#5 ·
Test Rods

When I was at Bears Den a couple of weeks ago I did not see the CND "Beach Rods" but that does not mean they were not there. A year ago I had e-mail exchanges with Beulah about their "switch rods" and also a couple of e-mail exchanges with Bob Meiser. End result was that I has a 10' 6" switch rod made for me using the FT 1010-4 blank by a rod maker in Md. This blank does not have the backbone of the CND rods but, loaded with Rio Outbound, 11wt at 465 grains will do a pretty good job, when I hit it right (which ain't as often as I would like:frown: ).

Sean...I have a cottage in Popponesett, Mashpee, and expect to be there around the 16/17 til Sun the 22. Maybe we could arrange to meet somewhere and you could play with it, if you want to. As my plans firm up...got minor car problems but they are expected to be cured by this Fri...will keep you posted on my plans. You can e-mail me at petereadel@verizon.net.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.