Fly Fishing Forum banner

ferrule wax

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Is chapstick useful as a ferrule wax? If not what do you use?

thanks

#7 ·
nose wax

My father-in-law rubs the ferrulle along side his nose to wax his rod. That seems to work however with a 4-piece rod I run out of this valuable substance. Is there an etiquette associated with borrowing nose wax? I like the candle idea

#8 ·
Check out Harry Koons at Nauset angler - one of our sponsors. He has a great product called - wait for it .... "Sex Wax"!

Surfers use it to wax their boards - does great on ferrules too.

To answer the original question, Chapstick may be a bit "thin" - especialy in the sunmmer.

#12 · (Edited)
Ferrule Wax

Hey Brad, any cheap candle will do, with the exception of those from a nephew's birthday cake. Just slice a 1/4" to 3/8" disk off the end of a medium size candle (a warm knife does help), slip it in a ziplock bag and stuff it in your, vest, chest pack or what-have-you.

After 2 - 3 swipes of the edge of your wax "coin" against a ferrule you'll find it has a very convenient little notch in it and it's a nice compact tool.

It really is a superior alternative to harvesting a sufficient supply of nose skin oil required to assemble a five piece rod, though you will be depriving your friends of considerable minor amusement while you appear to be shoving something like a four foot spey rod section up one of your blow holes.

Then again, if you're still suffering from some sort of prepubescent skin condition, hey that nose thing is probaby an environmentally friendly recycling plan but please turn away from the river while doing so.

John :smokin:

#13 ·
Speynut, you're right about carrying a coin of wax around, and I agree it's a damn sight easier, but - and here's what made me laugh when I thought of it - dragging a ferrule over or under an ear, the nose, etc., all the old-fashioned methods.

A year or so ago we (somewhere around here in cyberfishingcountry) discussed people's opinions of WHAT versus WHY? in terms of whether lubricant picks up grit and damages connections, binds too tightly, is a pain in the ass to create in small enough form to easily carry around; whether candle wax or crayons or toilet bowl flange rings or whatever is a 'right' way to go, and so forth. Everybody's accepted option is right for them, and that's just it - to each, his or her own.

I've got way more beeswax at home than I'm ever gonna use in the rest of my lifetime: there's a whole bread loaf pan on the shelf going into the cellar.

Bob, I got me some beauties, I do - wish I could replace the one that went floating down the Ipswich River one year, though :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.