Fly Fishing Forum banner

Got my Polar Bear today.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  beau purvis 
#1 ·
Well, got a call, and was told I could pick some up. He only gave me a small piece, about 8" by 14". He still had tons. Let me know that he will have more possibly once he's done reconditioning the pelt for a customer. So, I get first dibs (and will take it all) when he's done with project.

Man, I love this stuff. I hope I get enough to dye a couple. Don't want to dye unless I get lots. Sorry Juro, no long fibers on this one, but on the other piece he had there were some for saltwater. I'll send you some once I get more if it's "saltwater" length.

He even threw in alot more grizzly. The silver tip fibered fur makes some nice wings. Woooohooo.

#2 ·
8x14?! For someone like me who buys it by the square inch like me it seems like an acre. Great find!

I bought some great stuff from Manuel, the ultimate for white wings on wets (polar shrimp, etc).

Don't go out of your way but if he does have long fibers >drool<

trivia: the original coho flies were tied with long polar bear fibers, nowadays that would be a pretty damn expensive fly!

#3 ·
Hey Juro

I'll set you up if I get long fibers. Actually, since I don't tie saltwater flies, how long of hair do you use? May have some I can cut out for you. How much do you pay per square inch? I'm almost afraid to tell you what I paid for that piece. I actually paid more for the Grizzly patch I bought then the Polar Bear that day. Say it this way, I bought a 2'x2' piece of grizzly. Paid $15 for both the grizzly and polar bear. And paid $10 for just the piece of grizzly. :D

Say it this way, customer likes me (bennie for being a good UPS driver) and really has no value to him. He gets paid quite well for his work. Just leftovers to him. He knows the value, just isn't in selling scraps. Gotta love my job. Bennies, bennies, and more bennies.

#4 ·
For coho, 3-4" is primo; for east coast SWFF up to a foot long is cool! My $5 is in the mail :devil:

J/K - if you do happen to get the opportunity to obtain some long fibers that will lay well next to each other, I would be interested.

#5 ·
home on lunch break

don't have any THAT long Juro. Maybe when I get rest may have some a foot long. But the stuff I have would make good wings on salmon/steelhead flies. Most of it is about 2-4" long.

Will send you some free of charge, least I could do for keeping the board going.

#6 ·
legal polar hair

there is a guy in spokane that has a big selection ,all colors and lengths.i posted it once before. if interested i will dig up the #. that is his business. also anyone interested in artic fox shld contact waters west, a fly shop in port angeles wa. they have an excellent selection of many good colors at reasonable prices. by the way they are one of the few shops that have all gear for tiying tube fly and [REALLY RARE] ,they sell many sizes of waddington shanks, plus the soft tube for the tailend.
beau

#7 ·
Hey Beau

I'd be curious to see the prices on the polar bear, especially the dyed stuff. The stuff I am getting is legal too luckily. But if I get enough, will custom dye myself. But curious what the going rate is. I know I'm getting mine pretty darned cheap.

Nice to know about the Waters West. I have an account setup for Arctic Fox straight from Finland custom dyed. Waiting to see what the total costs will be in bulk including shipping/import charges.

#8 ·
Waters West Rules!

Juro and I have talked about it before - this is one of our favorite shops and a definite must-stop on the OP for the visiting flyfisherman.

Amazing selection of tubefly hooks too - I thought I was "up" on them all but found hooks there by Diiachi and Gamakatsu that I didn't even know existed.

DS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.