Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help with Carp flies

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
I am new to this warm water fishing. I have been riding my bike in the Lowell area, and noticing some very large Carp in the river.
you can see them hanging in the current. What are some good flies to try ?I am seeing them flash occasionally ,leading me to believe that they are feeding.

#2 ·
If the fish are flashing near bottom, then they're probably taking nymphs. Nymphs are what many carp flyfishers swear by, but a few of us forum members have had our most recent successes with small brown wooly buggers.

FWIW, you might want to also check out Quentin's post about catching carp on top.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Domenic, I'm one of those carp flyfishers who swear by nymphs, but due to my limited experience, you should take that oath with a grain of salt. My favorite fly right now is a bead head prince nymph, since it's the only fly I've had eaten so far.

On friday I had a few follows on a very poorly tied crayfish pattern, so I'm planning on spending a little time at the vise this week to try and improve the fly a bit in hopes of enticing a strike.

One thing to note: I've only had luck with fish that were actively feeding. From what I've seen, a fish that's hanging in the current, or sunning itself on top is more likely to take off and spook the whole pod than it is to eat, no matter how good the presentation.

#4 ·
Domenic, if you haven't already seen it, you ought to check out this article, courtesy of pmflyfisher.

http://detnews.com/2002/outdoors/0208/18/d10-559051.htm

It's about the Great Lakes but has excellent info that can be applied anywhere, although fly selection may be more of a local thing. It's probably best to work on your presentation first, using any fly that is known to catch carp, and then start trying different flies until you find one that works where you are. The "wrong" fly probably won't spook them but the wrong presentation will, regardless of what fly you are using.

Try for the fish that are grubbing on the bottom, especially the ones that stay in one place for a while. They are definitely feeding and are usually so preoccupied with their search for food that they are less likely to get spooked. I even motored right past one such bottom grubber and then drifted back and caught it. I had motored practically over its head in 2 feet of water and it never left its feeding spot (until after I hooked it :hehe: ).

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.