Fly Fishing Forum banner

Long Island, Bahamas

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tatco 
#1 ·
I'm heading to Long Island for a couple of weeks. With guides for one week and on our own for the second week. Heard the south end of the island got hit pretty hard by a storm in the past few months. Anybody have any firsthand experience of how it looks now?

Any information on places to fish, flies, boat rentals would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Almost everyone I know who has fished LI went with the lodges and guides.

Note that there is growing sentiment in the Bahamas against people fishing on their own, so much so that they want to make it illegal using the ruse of species preservation to enforce it. I have been confronted by guides on Exuma and frankly I won't go back to that island because of it.

In your case since you are staying with them and hiring them half the time they will usually (or have in the past) direct clients toward good water the rest of the time to fish on their own.

If you can't get this help or any from the Forum, I suggest aerial analysis using google earth. It's pretty obvious where bones will be.

#3 ·
Long Island

Tatco....

I have been going to that part of Long Island for a number of years now and have become close with the folks at the place I stay. They sent me a number of pictures of the area under water.....My understanding is that the airport and Island are back to pre-storm days. Unfortunately, there are many people who lost everything they owned. If you want any specifics, just PM me and I will see if I can help.....as an FYI, I will be there from March 2nd to 8th this year.....

John

#4 ·
We had the same heavy rains here and lost quite a bit of the road. I heard the same for Long Island, but I suspect at least minimal repairs have been done. The storm really did not affect the fishing in the long term at all. Our creeks and flats went yellow and brackish for a week but all is back to normal now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.