Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rio Striper Lines

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SageBoy 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried or have any of Rio Striper lines . What do you think of them is there anything better ? Fish-head

#2 ·
Hi Fish Head;

I used the Rio Striper line last season and loved it. I was using the Air-Flo before I made the switch (the Air-Flo was ALWAYS tangling, even after I let it hang in the current for 20 minutes to straighten!). I'm quite happy with the Rio. Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
After using both the intermediate and the 26ft density compensated for four seasons, I can say that Jim Vincent has a couple of winners.

The clear AquaLux intermediate line has a good taper for turning over large flies, but it is not a quickshooter. Long body length requires you to aerialize 40 feet to load a medium fast action rod. It is pretty slick when wet and doesn't tangle an inordinate amount in a shooting basket. I haven't noticed a lot of wear.

The 26ft density compensated line is superb. It shoots like a rocket. I use the 350grain version on a 10wt and believe it is one of the few sinktips that uses an intermediate running line. In rips with one mend, this combination sinks like a stone. The running line/sinktip connection is seamless and this line wears well.

One line that I personally don't like is the 26ft versitip. It is a good concept for the person that doesn't want to change spools, but their welded loops are not very durable. They fray quite easily and you could loose a tip to a large fish. The solution is to double nail knot the loops and put a thin coat of knot sealer.

I've used their floating line and shooting heads, but not enough to to provide a proper evaluation.

I'll be trying the new lumalux intermediate with the clouser taper and a 300grain density compensated sinktip this season on a 9wt. I plan to throw some large tube flies, which could prove interesting.

Rio is a sponsor on this forum. Check it out.

Simms

#5 ·
I've used the RIO lines a lot and think they're the best. Try the Lumalux lines (floating and sinking). They have that Clouser taper, which is great for turning over big flies, and also have probably the slickest coating you'll ever try. Friends who work at the company told me that something about adding the glow-in-the-dark stuff also adds an incredible amount of slickness, which I had noticed independently. I don't even care about the luminescence -- I just like the taper and feel.
The aqualux, also a good line, now has the same heavier front loaded taper.
Finally, I used to be concerned about the old loops on the versitips, but they've improved over the last year to the point where they're pretty much unbreakable. As you can see, I only have good things to say.

#6 ·
I was a SA fan until I tried out the Rio Striper Aqualux. Now that's all I use. I converted all my lines over to Rio.

The luminescence on the line I think is to far back to scare off any fish. It's around 30' from the tip and then you figure in about a 12 foot leader. Na...Don't think it's an issue.

If you haven't tried one of these lines you really should. It's even helped me with getting more distance.;)

#7 ·
Rio LumaLux

Whether this glow-in-the-dark line scares fish is a good question. I used one last year for the outgoing in bayside creeks with pretty good results when compared to guys using other lines. I believe BobPop fished the prototypes and he loves them. With a 9 foot leader, I don't the luminescent line is a factor.

There are some significant advantages to this concept
once charged with a camera flash or a flashlight:
1. You can track the line in the water and move your rod tip accordingly to keep it straight to the line.
2. No drama untangling snarls in your stripping basket. In fact, you can almost see well enough to change flies with a few coils of line in your basket.
3. Want to open your casting loop to throw clousers/big flies? You can see the line in the air.
4. Quick loading with a bullet taper that works well during the day.

Simms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.