Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striper lines

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
I need to replace an intermediate line on my niner this year. I have been using SA striper line for the past couple of years but have not been overly crazy about it. Wondering if anyone has tried the Airflo 40+ intermediate line. I think the head is 37 feet similar to Rio's Outbound. Any opinions out ther on intermediate lines?

#2 ·
Rio Outbound intermediate. I have used this line for the past 3-4 years, and it is my primary line. I'm on my third one, but using it four months a year as my "go to," no regrets. It is about one half size larger and has a 38 foot head and floating running line. As an aside, I use the Outbound in Type 3 and 8 because it loads fact action rods at short distance for sightfishing.

#3 ·
Thanks Jim,

That goes along with what I've heard about that line. Lots of folks really like it.

I've heard the argument about using a full sink on the flats when sightfishing, not only for the quick load but also because the line sinks to the bottom quickly staying out of the water column and thus less likely to spook the fish basically becoming a non player in the equation. I have used full sinkers with moderate success but will have to try it more this year.

#4 ·
For intermediates I liked the Wulff TT but I did have cracking after about a season and a half. This cracking may have resulted from storage abuse. Cortland 444SL's and little tuny lines work for me also.

I've been using a QD line the last two seasons for bright sun/shallow flats work under the premise that by getting the line on the bottom quick I won't spook fish with line shadows. Witnessed a lot of this spooking of stripers with floating and clear intermediates. The QD is a 300 grain Cortland 550 with an intermediate running line. I'd really like to get a similar line with a floating running line if anyone has suggestions.

#5 ·
The SA Striper casts long and easy for my stroke and I've done well with it but I'm going back to a clear int. next time.

Sinker gets a lot of time as well, not just in rips and surf but also on flats when I can get head-on shots or want to go after fish on deeper flats.

Still given one (and only one) I would stick with an INT. Good to have choices.

BTW I am in the hunt for a SW floating "bug taper" that will turn over a brick for big bangers. Any suggestions? I may end up splicing one / custom.

#6 ·
I'm a big fan of the Airflo sinking lines, though I know their floating lines don't have such a good reputation. I have a 40+ intermediate and it casts like a rocket on my (modest) TFO 9wt. The Airflo lines also seem to hold up well compared to some others.

Hope I can get to the Cape again this Fall and get some stripers to stretch the intermediate!

#7 ·
I went with the Rio Outbound intermediate. I have a 250 intergrated shooting head I use for short work. I bring it with me as a second set up on the flats all the time but haven't used it much. I will try it more this year.

Are you guys who are using sinking lines on the flats using 9' leaders or are you keeping them super short 4-6'?

#8 ·
Using a Type 3 sinking line at times on the flats, I use a 6-8ft leader. There are times when the fly has to be on the bottom ahead of the fish, and then twitched. Sinking lines, especially in current, do the job. Again, Rio Outbound line for me. It has a 38 foot head, about 1/2 size heavier than AFTMA. Loads rods easily at short range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.