Fly Fishing Forum banner

Whiting rooster spey hackles

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
At my local fly shop today, the proprietor was setting out a selection of the brand-new (to me, at any rate) Whiting spey rooster necks. Far from slipping the word "spey" onto an existing product, Whiting has bred a new line to fill our heronless need. The bowie knife clenched in the proprietor's teeth dissuaded me from plucking a test feather or two, but fanning the neck showed a dense assortment of thin-stemmed, long-barbule feathers, apparently quite suitable for small to medium spey flies. These necks were in purple, grey, black, orange, and a sort of pale peach, with more colors promised. They're $30.:hehe:
"Doctor X will build a creature..."

#4 ·
Even though I did not like the first generation Whiting Spey Hackle necks. I must admit the new generation is not too bad. They are quite an improvement over last year's crop. It looks like those who had posted last fall that Whiting was 2 to 3 years away from producing a very good spey neck were correct. I find myself waiting to see what next year's spey neck birds provide for us.

If the improvement is equal to this year's over last year's, I think we will have a ver reasonably priced product for quality spey hackle instead of paying too much for the limited number of blue and white eared pheasant skins or even worse, the extremely over-priced 10 feather packs of blue or white eared pheasant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.