Fly Fishing Forum banner

Capeward Bound 9/6

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I'm going to be on the Cape from 9/6 - 9/9. Not sure when or where I'll be fishing, but I'm sure I'll hit South Beach at least one of those days. Maybe I'll see some of you out there!

Q

#2 ·
Sounds good Q -

You probably shouldn't expect the same behavior as you saw last time out on SB, of course it's possible but not likely that you'll see fish focused on tidbits on the flats. Instead they will be cornering swarms of pea bunker and yoy herring, silversides or shoals of sand eels in more distinct features on the inside - behavior that is far more common on the outer beach bowls than on the inside. When you find it on the inside it's some of the best fun you'll have all year, but there is just more of that commotion on the outer beaches overall. Each year at this time the fish shift gears into the fatten up for migration mode and that is mainly focused on the arrival of shoaling bait in the region. Hardtails on the sound shoreline are a reality and more prominent presence of stripers hunkered down in beach structure from Ptown to South Beach as the bunker clouds push by.

The only bad thing about fall is knowing what follows it! Alright it's technically summer... but not by the biological calendar!

#3 ·
Will be interested in your results and findings. After a long absence (4 weeks) am planning on hitting the noon high tide next Tueday. Is mung still a problem? Anything on the flats this weekend? Are the flats filled with mung as well? What are they hitting if they hit? Good luck and let us know of your success :)
Ron

#4 · (Edited)
"but there is just more of that commotion on the outer beaches overall"

Look for the surfboards at Dunkin Donuts in the morning. If you don't see any it's safe .

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...HIGH SURF ADVISORY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 1030 AM EDT FRI SEP 5 2003
... HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY FOR SOUTH AND EAST FACING BEACHES...

... DANGEROUS RIP TIDES MAY AFFECT THE ENTIRE REGION THIS WEEKEND...

ALTHOUGH HURRICANE FABIAN IS OVER 500 MILES AWAY FROM NANTUCKET... IT WAS ALREADY CASTING A SIGNIFICANT SOUTHEAST SWELL TOWARD THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST. THE BIGGEST IMPACT FROM FABIAN WILL BE ACROSS THE OUTER ISLANDS AND CAPE COD WHERE SEAS WILL BUILD TO 7 FEET... ESPECIALLY SATURDAY. THIS MAY RESULT IN A FEW BREAKERS OVER 10 FEET ON SOUTH AND EAST FACING BEACHES THERE.

FURTHER WEST ALONG SOUTH COASTAL SECTIONS OF MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND... SWELLS AND BREAKERS WILL NOT BE QUITE AS HIGH. NEVERTHELESS... THESE CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY CREATE DANGEROUS RIP TIDES IN THE TYPICALLY VULNERABLE LOCATIONS OF THE SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND COAST THIS WEEKEND.

A RIP CURRENT... SOMETIMES MISTAKENLY CALLED AN UNDERTOW... IS A STRONG BUT NARROW CURRENT OF WATER FLOWING FROM THE BEACH TO THE SURF ZONE. IT CAN RAPIDLY CARRY A SWIMMER INTO DEEPER WATER AND EXHAUST AN INDIVIDUAL TRYING TO SWIM AGAINST IT.

HEED THE ADVICE OF THE BEACH PATROL AND SWIM ONLY AT GUARDED BEACHES. WATCH YOUR CHILDREN. BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS NEAR PIERS AND JETTIES WHERE RIP CURRENTS CAN BE ENHANCED.

IF YOU ARE A POOR SWIMMER AND ARE CAUGHT IN A RIP CURRENT... SWIM PARALLEL TO THE BEACH UNTIL OUT OF ITS PULL. ANOTHER MEANS OF ESCAPE FOR THOSE WHO ARE GOOD SWIMMERS... IS TO RIDE THE CURRENT OUT BEYOND THE SURF ZONE WHERE THE RIP CURRENT DISSIPATES... THEN SWIM TOWARD SHORE OUTSIDE THE EFFECT OF THE NARROW RIP CURRENT.

#5 ·
Was at the car park at the Chatham lighthouse this morning to check where I'm meeting the guys tomorrow and saw a Striper taken on a spinner on the beach below the cars.

Striblue, I managed to get a pair of waders at 'Fishing the Cape', so all systems go for the 'morrow. If I manage one Striper I'll be delighted.

#6 ·
Phil, what time were you there and was the fish taken to the right up by the rocks? My target this morning was the corner but a guy beat me to the spot. The swell is definitely building. South Beach ought to be interesting at high tide tommorow.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info guys,

I'm hoping to make it to the south side jetties by sunrise tomorrow, but I may not stay long depending on the situation. I'll probably head to Chatham from there. If I get there early enough I'll take the shuttle to SB, otherwise I'll probably just fish Morris Island and save the SB trip for another day.

Q

#8 · (Edited)
Phil... I stopped into "Fishing The Cape" around 1 pm today and Jared mentioned that you had stopped in... I will see you at 8 Saturday morning and we will walk South beach.. that is... to certain bowls....Q---- I will look for you to and the 3 of us can head over.... If the south beach ocean does not produce , I will show you Juro's secret spots.:devil: ( just kidding Juro)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.