Fly Fishing Forum banner

Modify Rod Holders?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
The CC that I just purchase has this rod rack on the transom. It seems that the rod holders only hold spinning rods.

Does anyone know if you can modify these or do anything to get them to hold between 7-10 Wts?

Thanks,

Jimbo

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have taken a piece of PVC that will slide inside the tube and cut it so that it sits about 8 inches above the top of the stainless tube. In the PVC, I cut a deep slit to hold the fly reel. By wedging the PVC pipe into the rod holder, it becomes a stable place to store the rod. For extra security, you could add a strap above the reel to hold the rod into the pvc. Here's what it looks like on my yak:

#4 ·
Thanks Nick.

That is a good idea.

I was thinking that my holders were tapered, but I checked them and they are not. The stainless tubes have a pvc insert in them.

I would have to use a pretty small diameter pvc as an additioal insert and I don't think my fighting butts would fit in.

I just need to try it.

#7 ·
You could always use a step down PVC adapter...but that may be against the KISS method! :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.