Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wulff Triangle Taper saltwater floating line

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RayStachelek 
#1 ·
Used some of my XMas money and picked up the Wulff 9wt. triangle taper (and a spare spool for my Tioga for good measure). All I can say is AWESOME!! On my first lawn cast with it, I threw a 90 ft. bomb without so much as a single false cast. Can't wait to see how it fishes. 2001 will be my grand experiment in the area of top water FF.

#2 ·
Sounds cool! I have cast that line in an intermediate and found that it was easy to use in tide currents because of the long taper. You don't have to strip it much to get a massive roll cast, pick it up, and cast again. This seems like a major advantage for tunoids on top, something we saw a lot of last year. Also supports very long aerialized line lengths due to the taper. It throws long lines really well to your point.

I also have heard of guys who ended up cutting a few feet of the front to help turn big bangers over in the wind. Most lines have a level tip of ~1 foot that is not part of the taper.

Keep us informed thru the season, I've been thinking about a floater as well.

#6 ·

Like the weight forward taper, the triangle holds a majority of its density in the front half of the line. This is why it shoots like a rocket. But unlike the WF, the very tip is a thin, nearly level line allowing for better presentation.

<blockquote><hr>This provides the most efficient transfer of casting energy as it unrolls because the heavier line is constantly turning over lighter line.

This design also gives you a more delicate presentation, because the weight is away from the fly. It is also the finest roll casting line for up to 60 foot casts. The combination of a long weighted section and a light running line make the Triangle Taper cast like a shooting head for distance.
<i>-- from <!--http--><a href="http://www.royalwulff.com/" target="_blank">RoyalWulff.com</a><!--url--></i><hr></blockquote>

John & Juro -- thanks, I'll keep an eye out for both issues.

#8 ·
I was comparing a wind taper line to a SW. triangle taper line and they have the exact opposite tapers. This would lead one to believe that the Wulf lines would not be so hot in the wind(the only thing you can count on in the salt). I have only cast the light Wulf lines, how are they in the wind?
This reminds me of shopping for toothbrushes: Some curve up, some curve down, and some curve out to the side! You'd think that after a few thousand years of tooth cleaning, we'd have this issue straightened out.

#9 ·
The Wulff Triangle Tapered lines are one of the best lines around for casting into the wind. Here's why? There have been discussions and disagreements about which is better, casting a smaller line into the wind, or casting a larger line but heavier one. Most agree though that weight is the governing factor since the drag difference between cross-section areas between weight class of lines is minimal. If you would ever want to through a rock into a wind and they were both similar in shape, I would through the heavier one for length.

The special triangular design of the Wulff putts the heaviest cross-section 32 feet from the end (See Al's illustration drawing), unlike other lines where their heaviest sections is near the end of line. When you line is going forward in the casting stroke, your running line leads and the weight sections follows. Think about those days when you used to through a roll of toilet tissue. To get maximum distance, you through the roll and the streamer follows. That's essential what happens with the Wulff lines with most of the 32 feet of line following the heavier section is pulled more efficient on the forward cast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.