#1 ·
Hal:

You wouldn't be holding out on me now would you? :tsk_tsk:

John

#3 ·
Hal:

That will teach me to hit the correct button from now on.......:rolleyes:

Whlie posting......
Step #1: hit the "post reply button" ...note: do NOT hit the "new thread button"

Step #2: Always check your work for errors........

Step #3 Try to choose "friends" that will not tease you unmercyfully :razz:

That's what I get for reading my email after 4 consecutive days of guiding. Too many nights of 3 hours of sleep I guess.

John

#4 ·
OK, your excused, but only 3 hours of sleep each night and fishing all day, I have not been able to do that type of fishing trip in 25 years. Please get some sleep before you post again.

BTW, how was the fishing ? I was out on Friday and beached and released a nice 15 LB lake michigan chrome king on the fly. :D

Hal

P.S. More important got lots of solitude and spey casting practice.

#5 ·
I had to guide a different river since mine is blown out (still). They had a tough couple of days to begin with. We were still fishing tail waters and they were running water on goofy schedules. Tough fishing always means alot of work on the guide. However, yesterday was an unbelievable day. They spent about 4 hours with solid doubles. I spent the entire time with a net in my hand. I don't know how many fish they eventually caught and released but it was a bunch. Later we spent about an hour working on a 28" rainbow that wouldn't take anything. All in all I'd say it was a great time. Nothing beats a few days on the river............

When the water gets down to about 4000 cfs (or less) on the White I am going to break out the new T&T spey rod and see if I can entice some of those bigger fish to take a streamer in lieu of those midges I usually fish with. I think I could spend a day standing in a river waving a stick for a while.

Where is the picture of the 15lb chromer? I'm in need of a big fish fix............

John

#6 ·
Yes that sounds like a very good fishing experience. Of course when I do manage to catch fish I am never carrying the camera. Really dislike the extra baggage. You will have to beleive me. Don't worry I readily admit my skunk days !

Yes try that spey on the browns, some big bunny leeches or sculpins etc.. could work well on them.

Hal

#7 ·
Of course when I do manage to catch fish I am never carrying the camera.
Hal:

I have a camera crew scheduled to be up here next week. They are going to be here for 3 days. I told them it would be better to stay for about a week. They guy said "How much time does it take to catch a world record?" :rolleyes:

Talk about pressure. Plus I haven't fished hard in about 6 months. Keep your fingers crossed. If I don'tproduce on the last day I'm taking Will (my 5 year old) to that little creek. That's a money shot for sure. :devil:

John

#8 ·
John,

Cool, keep us posted. I am tying now some last minute smelt and bunny leech patterns for tomorrow's dawn assault on the lake michigan chrome warriors. Conditions are looking very good for a multi hook up day. Never know what the next cast will be:
king, coho, lake run brown, skamania steel, michigan winter steelhead strain, etc..

What a wonderful way for a man to spend his birthday isn't it ? Thats right its tomorrow, check out the calendar.

Got to get back to tying and loading the car, you know the feeling.
:hehe:

Hal

#12 · (Edited)
John,

Now thats pressure, a TV camera crew filming your attempt at catching a large brown trout. Good luck but I would let them know what you think the probability of success is, because this is "fishing" and not "catching".

There are a lof of uncontrollable variables in fly fishing for trout and salmon, like the bright sunny blue bird weather I was confronted with on Friday. 30 miles to the west it was cloudy all day where the NE winds were blowing cloud cover off of lake michigan. Bright sunlight can really put down salmon and steelhead expecially when you cannot find shaded deep cool pools and structure where they will hide.

Oh well best of luck with the filming.

Hal

P.S. This is how I felt after Fridays fishing trip.

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

~ Paul O'Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.