Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Boxes?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  patagonia32 
#1 ·
Are boxes like
(or others with foam) used strictly for nymphs, streamers, and such, or can you also use them for dry flys? Or does it make any difference at all?

See less See more
#2 ·
Although there are specialized dry fly boxes with tiny separate compartments, the fly box that you have inquired about is more than suitable for dry flies. Large dries with big hackle windings might get a bit pinched, but other than that you should have no problem.

#3 · (Edited)
As long as a fly fits in a box without being crushed it's fine. There are certain boxes made expressly for certain flies like the compartmented box Mark mentioned. There are many other types, such as large, flat boxes with foam on one side that are meant for streamers. There are many, many types, but the most common are the ones like you posted.

I have so many types of fly boxes that I can't even count any more. My current favorite is the LL Bean box with the green back and clear lid, and a lanyard that you can hang around your neck. I also use a small metal Wheaton fly box that was a gift from my wife (good woman :) ) for most of my trout fishing and dry flies.

#4 ·
I'm using a box now that has one lid, but several compartments, and all the flies of the same type and/ or size are in the same compartment. It'a getting to be a bit of a pain though having to fish out just one at a time. That's why i'm thinking of these boxes. Thanks for the help. :)

#5 ·
heres an idea

That is the problem with compartment fly boxes. Your flies get stuck together, and you are likely to drop flies in the river trying to get one apart. In my opinion, the compartment flyboxes serve best for strike indicators, hooks, splitshot, or beads.

I am a fan of C&F flyboxes:

You can fit a ton of flies in them, and they keep your flies organized and neat. The slits are very snug too, more so than regular foam.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.