Fly Fishing Forum banner

Book on Classic Saltwater Flies

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  shadfreak 
#1 ·
Although the moderators know, I think it is safe to say now ,that we have a contract (or are finalizing the negotiations) with Wild River Press . Joe Branham and I are planning on Co-Authoring a book on Classic Saltwater flies. Dividing them into the "old" classic and 'New" classics. This will involve a number of people who have agreed to help from Lefty Kreh to Steve Abel. Joe and I will divide the work. We will tye the flies where we can not get originals and I will be interviewing some of the pioneers on the subject. We want this to be the authority on Classic Saltwater flies with professionally done photo's and the other criteria that this publisher wants. It is the same publisher as Rich Muphy has for his book. I expect that the work will be done in 8 months... the research and writing... then we start the proof work. I will beleive it when I see it. Anyway, no administering swaps for me this year.

#2 ·
Hi John,

Congratulations on your book deal. I wish you and Joe well with your book project. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I'm sure you'll have alot of useful patterns for us Saltwater Fly fisherman. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck,
Greg.

#7 ·
Thanks Guys. We may be able to use digital photo's instead of 35MM slides. So that will be a big work reducer. I have a digital camera but may look into a better one ,like a Nikon. ( I now have a Sony DSL-5, I think it is at 3.2 pixs.) The fly photo's will not be on the vise but rather with sand, shells, seaweed, drift wood, etc. as a resting background.

#9 ·
photos

Hi John,
If you need photos of the flies,I have a studio with a large soft box that would do a great job for you and the files will be about 4megs or i can shoot them in the raw format. Poidy Oil is a hooby of mine but i make the money through the studio and photo lab. just let me know if i can be of any help and i would like to place an order for the book.

fish we must,
grizz0707

#10 ·
John,
Congrats on a very exciting new adventure for you. I am sure that you both being the intelligent individuals that you are will come up with a very informative and high quality read. A quick suggestion if I am not out of line? In most all of the books you see the stock fly photos either behind a vise or neutral background or some have a natural back ground. These are fine for tying purpose but if you could also get some shots of the flies actually wet in the water it would be that much more useful in getting especially newbies to understand how and why you do the things you do when tying a certain pattern i.e. Flatwing.......i.e. sparse does not mean no fullness in the water. I think you know what I mean and I am no photo expert so cannot give you any ideas about how to accomplish that but it would be awesome and something I have not seen in a book before, it may have been done already I just have not seen it :confused: . Good luck and I will look forward to reading it when it is hot off the presses.

Mike M.

#11 ·
Mike... that is a good concept to think about. Remember ,however, these are the old flies and some of the newer ones.... Not sure a Joe Brooks blond will tell us more than what it is dry....on the other hand it is a good idea for a fly book in general. Ours will be more of a History book and one where we are attempting to put all those old ones....some going back to 1890...like the Florida Cracker, in one volumn....But I will think that concept though as we get to the photo stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.