Fly Fishing Forum banner

still holdin' up

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Today we are in a snowstorm but yesterday it was 38-40, sunny and no wind. Perfect winter trout fishing weather. I made it out for a few hours and had a great time. There's a little ice on the banks from last week's deep freeze but the fish don't seem to care. There was even a midge hatch complete with rising fish for an hour or so. The trout provided an admirable account of themselves in the cold water- even though they were mostly of the footlong variety.

Anybody else still fishing Commonwealth trout streams? I'm hoping it holds up straight through till the stripes return.

#4 ·
Nissitisset Fishermen?

It's great to find a forum of people fishing the same waters!

The Nissi is a fine river and is one of my top choices when I can find the time to make it out - which unfortunately isn't often, a dozen times a year if I'm lucky. Can't build much knowledge being on the water so little, thus I was hoping to cheat a little. I was wondering if some of the locals posting would be kind enough to share some of the flys they come across while fishing the Nissi. I've seen impressive quill gordon's, hendricksons, and a good deal of caddis species. Had a great day with 5 released browns after the chapter stocked it this year. Thanks for all the time and money you guys put into that river.

I'm impressed but not surprised it fishes well in winter. I've made the trip from Boston in early summer a couple times and have seen the river in bad shape, a total transformation from the Spring. So, as it gets hot I tend to look West. Maybe as it gets cold I should be looking North, and get the insulated waders out of mothballs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.