Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Son-in-law to be.

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
I figure I need to start this thing out right. I'm building the new son-in-law to be, a 5 peace 6 wt. from a Cabela's Stowaway blank. :hehe: If he takes to flyfishing we can progress from there. If he doesn't, when the kids come along they'll need something for grandpa to teach them with.:hehe:
I don't think I can loose in this deal.:smokin:

#2 ·
Pat, I used to own one of those Stowaway rods, the 8-wt. model. I thought it was a very good rod for the money, ended up losing it during a move.:mad:
That would be a great rod for someone to start out with. I might build one for my grandfather for Father's Day this year using that blank. He's never done any fly fishing, so I figure we'll see what he thinks of it all.

#5 ·
The 7wt line sounds like a good idea. It would help him feel the load better while learning.
I was going to get him one of the combos, but my wife had a fit. Said it had to be one I made.
Sort of like laying on of hands.
Bob, which wt rod do you have?

#6 ·
Try this for an answer.....

Mine is a 6-wt., and I use it with 6-weight line. I am sure for a beginner, you could use a 7-wt. line to "overload" it slightly, and he could get a better feel for timing/loading relationship.
Or just get the 7-wt., it all depends on what your individual needs, comfort, rivers/streams you fish, and what you need for a good all-around rod.

Since I don't know what your target species of fish are, and am unfamiliar with the conditions, I am always hesitant to make a recommendation. But here are some ideas.

If he will use it for a lot of chrome and salmon fishing, the 7 - maybe even an 8 wt. might be a better choice. For bass, I had a lot of fun with a 4-wt., but the heavier wt. rods are vastly better for casting wind-resistant bass bugs. For all-round general trout and panfish, a 5 or 6 wt. should be fine.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice!"

BobK

#8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I deliberately picked the 6 because I figured it would be the best all around starter in that series that was available. They don't make the 5 peace Stowaway in a 7. I know that Cabelas 7 peace stowaway is offered in a 9'6" 7wt. but I don't know anything about the 7peace, and 7sections seems like an aweful lot to me. (but then when I started this game ferrules were all made of metal, and the less the better. ) He travels a lot in his work, so a pack rod is definantly the best option to start.
Besides he may never see chrome much less salmon.
He leaves Chicago today for SanDiego, where they will live. If he takes to the game I'll not have to worry about what to get him for Christmas etc. from here on in.
:hehe:
I just finished putting on gold trims for two of the guides. That's a pain. When I make a rod for myself it's pretty Plain Jane. Sure makes it a lot easier.
The reason I asked what sizes of Stowaway you had was to get your oppinions on them. I was trying to decide whether to go with a Cabela's Stowaway or make up a 4pc 7wt from an Anglers Workshop Salt Stalker series. (for me not the kids)
I can have a 6 and an 8wt Stowaway for what it will cost me to make one Salt Stalker. I built a 7'9" 2pc 3wt from A.W. blank a few years ago and it is NICE! (not my workmanship, the action)
decisions, decisions :chuckle:

#9 ·
I loved my 5-piece 8-wt.; I was able to consistently cast 90'+ with little effort. The only thing that I would have changed about it, or rather added to it, is a fighting butt; it didn't have one, and for an 8-wt. rod a fighting butt is kind of "basic equipment" for me. Other than that, I loved it; used it in saltwater most of the time, chasing blues and weakies. For about $100 you can build the 8-wt. with premium guides, a woven graphite seat, and high-quality grip and fighting butt. The blank doesn't weight too much more than some of the much more expensive blanks made by St. Croix and Loomis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.