Fly Fishing Forum banner

Red and Yellow Clouser using polar fiber

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TinMan 
#1 ·
I've heard of people having some success with red and yellow aka: "Ronald Macdonald" color combo. So I tied a couple up to find out. The polar fiber seems nice.Hook size is a 2.

TerryW

See less See more
#2 ·
Terry- Looks good. Did you tie the wing all on one side,or did you follow the original clouser pattern. If you tied the wing all on one side here's a suggestion- wrap a short body behind the eyes and figure-8 over them. This gives the eyes more stability, plus gives the fly more flash. The color combo should work especially in dark water. ron

#3 ·
I tied it all to one side per a version by Roy who teaches the begginers class a UFT. IT helps hide the hook, which is bent back a little.
Actually I tied 2. The other one was traditional with buccktail on both sides. There is a strip of bucktail over the eyes tied down behind the eyes too. Then a dab of superglue to hold. Your point is well taken thanks.

TerryW

#6 ·
Sorry the red is bucktail. Yellow is PF. But, I got it at the new Orvis shop in W. Concord. They just stocked up on the whole line of stuff from Success Flies(?) I think I saw red there. Give them a call. It's called Concord Outfitters, or West Concord Outfitters.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.