Fly Fishing Forum banner

Summer Pike Blues

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
The lake that the cabin I'm staying on up in Minnesota is kind of a shallow lake (25 foot) and is not known for large pike, but there are some fish in there 20lbs plus. Now, since I'm goin up there Tuesday, chances are all the sizable pike are goin to be deep. The forage base of the lake is perch and the lake features a submerged island that jumps from 15 to 5 foot in a heartbeat, and a few drop-offs that drop 10-15 feet, plus tons of flats in the 3-8 foot range. Where do I start if I am chasing a 30incher?

#2 ·
I presume this will apply to Minnesota pike since it seems to apply (almost) everywhere I've fished for "spring" pike.
The water temp is a key factor, typically, when the temp goes to 60F to 68F is when the big guys come in cruising the shallows (2 to 5 feet deep). Weed growth is the other factor in shallows, you need about 4 to 6 inches of "cover" for the bait to hide in. So bring your thermometer along and check the surface temp. Also, go cruising very slowly over the shallows you plan to fish, if the big guys are around, you will often spook them away from their lies and they leave a dust cloud on the bottom.
So check the temp, look for early weed growth and find bottom clouds and you be into big ones all day long!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.