Fly Fishing Forum banner

Miami in December?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  boatdrinks 
#1 ·
So I'll be in Miami beach in the middle of December for a few days. Is there anything going on the beach there (in the surf that is)? I've heard of the night time bridge fishing which I'll definitely try but I was wondering if fishing the beaches early in the morning was worth it. Thanks!

#6 ·
There's a couple of places you can go there. I'd go to some of the bridges where you can get down to the water and not fish off the bridge. Find where the tides/currents have made a spit of sand go out from the shore and wade out on the spit with your fly or spin rod. Depending on the tides and water depth, you can either throw out into the channel, or fish the shallows towards the beach. Here's one example of the type of area I'm talking about:
Bridge #1

And a couple of other places I used to go (keep in mind this was 10 years ago!)
Dark flats
Good small bay with a put-in right here

The tricky part is you need to be very careful of the tides so you don't get stranded. Ideally, try and find a local place you can rent a kayak. That example #1 above you really need a boat to get you across the channel to the flat that's in the middle of the picture. I used to go there years ago and do this, but I haven't been back for a while, so I don't know where the sand spits would be good these days for sure. Just bring a small anchor with you and you can either fish from the boat, or anchor it in a shallow place and wade around a bit.

Oh and to answer your question about the beach, in general there's not much. You'll find a lot better fishing if you go to a bridge.

#8 ·
teflon_jones said:
There's a couple of places you can go there. I'd go to some of the bridges where you can get down to the water and not fish off the bridge. Find where the tides/currents have made a spit of sand go out from the shore and wade out on the spit with your fly or spin rod. Depending on the tides and water depth, you can either throw out into the channel, or fish the shallows towards the beach. Here's one example of the type of area I'm talking about:
Bridge #1

And a couple of other places I used to go (keep in mind this was 10 years ago!)
Dark flats
Good small bay with a put-in right here

The tricky part is you need to be very careful of the tides so you don't get stranded. Ideally, try and find a local place you can rent a kayak. That example #1 above you really need a boat to get you across the channel to the flat that's in the middle of the picture. I used to go there years ago and do this, but I haven't been back for a while, so I don't know where the sand spits would be good these days for sure. Just bring a small anchor with you and you can either fish from the boat, or anchor it in a shallow place and wade around a bit.

Oh and to answer your question about the beach, in general there's not much. You'll find a lot better fishing if you go to a bridge.

Thanks a lot for your help. I assume with that first spot Iwould go over the bridge and fish from the north side? Either around the bridge itself or around to the bayside?

#9 ·
Again thank you very much for your help. Also what do you think would be cruising around the bridges in December. I'm heard about the tarpon at night, which is awesome, but during the day would snook and jacks be on the prowl? Particularly in the channels?

#11 ·
If you head out to Key Biscayne there is a nice hard sand flat on the northeast side of the island. I have seen people walk into it but I'm not sure how they do it because I kayak around from the marina to access it. I've caught bones there, early or late in the day. Also there are a couple marl flats you can get to on the northwest side of the island around the marina that I know you can access by foot.

#13 ·
so I ended up catching some jacks in the surf right by the hotel. Pretty fun. I ran down to the keys one day and fished a guide. We saw a ton of cuda but they would not eat. We also had a couple of good shots at permit. I had one permit follow me from 50 feet until I had the leader in the rod tip before he turned away:eek:. We also tried fishing for snook around the mangrove islands which is something I'd never done in the keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.