Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do I know the weekend was a success?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Striper 
#1 ·
Within one hour of getting home Matthew told his mother he needed to get a pair of waders and a flyrod!

#2 ·
Though the fishing was a bit off, the South County and camp friends really made it.
Interestingly, though part of a Clave, I did a lot of solitary fishing. I was able to link up with the gang when ever I needed, but I guess my soal needed to wander those quiet South County places and take in the sites and sounds and just clear the head. I really enjoyed this odd mix. I also met a few real nice and smart guys out on the water who were not part of the clave. We would see some fishy activity and end up analyzing it together and fishing it for an hour or 2. Great company, great gentlemen to meet. Every clave has it's own flavor.

Lefty

#5 ·
...PUNCTURE WOUND!?...

Mike...
Excellent! These are the the details that get retold later and become legend and lore!
What a Family!!!

#6 ·
Mike - Thats truly a measure of success to me. I know Matt will likely remember last weekend for the rest of his life. Getting his first Albie alone is something to remember let alone the rest of the experience.

Way to go Dad.

What was he using on the spinning rod by the way? My 3 year old isn't slinging a fly yet.

Guys - Wish I could have made it for even a day, But I had to trade weekends with weather and sick kids. Not to mention get some of those chores done.

Greg.

#7 ·
Terry, glad you were able to experience the magic of Rhody's south shore. Now you know how I became an addict despite living 2 hours away. Just wait 'till you hit one of those legendary South County blitzes! I'll be trying to go every weekend from now to Halloween. Any time you want to tag along or hook up, let me know. You'd be very welcome!

Jerry, glad to hear you're recovering from your injury. Popping hooks out comes with the territory for us Hardcore Fishermen. It sure is a waste of fishing time to go to the Hospital to have a hook removed. If it's not in an eye or an artery, save your fishing time and $50.00 co-pay and pop it out yourself. Just be sure to apply iodine or equavilent and be up to date on shots.

You're right Pete, another chapter is being added to the Z Family Legands. Now into its third generation of Hardcore Fishermen, there's already more than enough stories to drive the Z Family Women out of rooms for years to come!

Greg the lure Matt used was a small Deadly Dick. I think it was 1/4 oz. I don't recall what the model was but it's about 2 inches long and very thin. The line was 10 lb floro spinning line called [I think] Vanish. Truthfully, the rig was a little light and Matt just barely strong enough to land an albie that size. For more humane fish landing I'd probably go up a bit on rod size and line strength. Of course that would make it tough to throw the little jigs albies like to eat. I have seen guys hooking albies on light surf rods by using a wooden casting float such as is used by some for schoolie stripers in the spring. They use about 4 feet of floro leader and a fly or sluggo below the float. This would be just the right size to be cast by an older kid or young teenager, or cast by you and handed to a smaller kid to reel in or fight fish. They're never too young to start!

#8 ·
Hmm... if Matt was having that much trouble getting the Albie in I doubt my little Josh would be holding the rod still or if so spooled or airborne to parts elsewhere. I guess if he were to hook up I could help him out provided I reach him in time. Brandon has dealt with some big <=27inch stripers in the current and has enough backing.

I think I'll set Josh up for bass or fluke instead. That fluke blitz must have been a sight to see. I can't imagine them being much of a jumper for some reason, Ah.. the wonders of nature.

Thanks,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.