Fly Fishing Forum banner

Multi-Tip Lines

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bostoned 
#1 ·
I have a 9wt outfit and 10wt outfit. I have all I need for the 10wt but I only have a sinker for the 9wt. I was thinking about getting a multi-tip line but was wondering if anyone had any experience, good or bad.

I was looking at Orvis and Rio. Any other suggestions?

Or should I go with a running line and shooting heads? I just like how the multi-tip heads are only 15ft long as opposed to the 30ft shooting heads. I guess I get nervous about having a fish strike within the last 10ft of my retreive and having the loop-to-loop get snagged on a guide and creating chaos.

What do you think?

#2 ·
Multi-tip lines provide versatility for the angler without spare spool(s). Small loop-to-loop connections between the running line and the tips won't hangup in the guides/tip top.

If you have have an intermediate line for the 10wt, most 9wts will handle it. Or, since you have a 9wt sinker, an extra spool for your 9wt reel outfitted with an intermediate line would be a great apprroach. That would outfit you for the majority of striper presentations.

#3 ·
Multi-tip vs multi-spool

I do have 2 spools for both of my outfits. I was interested in looking at the multi-tips for simplicity.

I will probably just get a 9wt intermediate and call it a day but everytime I open a catalog I find myself checking out the multi-tips. They seem like such an easy way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.