Fly Fishing Forum banner

Which Sage 7 wt?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zugbugz 
#1 ·
I've decided to pull the trigger on a 7 wt - almost certainly from sage. I can't get any clue except for general things about the differences between models from their website, and I won't be able to cast any around here.
So -- XP, Xi2, TCR? I was thinking XP because of dollars and they have a 9'6", but I really dunno. I just want a work horse 7wt to cover my smallmouth and pike fishing (mostly from a canoe), and be pretty good for an occasional trip for big landlocks, lake-run trout, etc. Might get some use on schoolies, too. Would extra length be a good idea?
Anyone who knows about these things, please chime in. My casting stroke is pretty versatile - I tend to adjust to the rod I'm fishing. Looking for quality, durability, and good "feel", as in being able to sense the stages of the cast.
Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
The XP being discontinued so many online retailers are selling them for discounted prices, usually about 30% off.

As far as the TCR goes, i have read it is more of a distance rod only (competitions and such), i dont think its for general use like the XP.

The XI2 is a specialty rod for for salt water, if you intend to fish in the ocean maybe this is a better choice.

#3 ·
Which Sage 7 Wt

Dewey, I'd take a look at the VT2 rods as well...don't think they're available in 9'6" however. I personally believe the 9 footer is the best choice overall. As for the XP, it's a great rod and a deal right now, but I think the VT2 will give you more of the casting "feel" you are looking for and its a bit less money than you can find the XP for at the moment. It's quite a powerful rod, but with a more flexible action than the XP. Cast one, my guess is you will like it! Bonus - blue finish similar (lighter blue) to the Xi2...:D

Zugbugz - Arizona

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.