Fly Fishing Forum banner

We got a nice Marlin today!

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MRobertson 
#1 ·
We trolled up a marlin estimated at 150 pounds that took Dave Goff of Sweetwater Travel 40 minutes to land. We also had some great bird/tuna activity throwing gummies into frothing water around the boat. Mostly 10 pound skip jacks, but one was a large yellowfin that went deep and spooled us. Great tailing bonefish action yesterday, with very light winds that allways precede the cold fronts. Pictures when we get them out of the camera!

Met a group from BC staying at Felton's who came down to Salina Point yesterday...they reported enjoying Acklins and Felton's very much and are having a great time and getting into some good fish. :)

#4 ·
Hi JT,

Yes, it was out about 200 yards from where you got your big wahoo. We saw it trailing the lure, and could have teased it into a fly except we had gummies on for tuna. While we were fighting it a beaked whale about 15 ft long came in to "watch" the fight and stayed by the boat until the marlin was released. One of the guys got it all on camera, so we should be able to post them when he gets home and down loads them.

We have had a week of flat weather so we also ran 30 miles out to Diana Bank and caught several wahoo, dolphin and tunas there then hit Guana Cay for bones on the way back. A cold front hit hard today, so the guys went on the beach behind the house and caught bones and grouper off the turtle grass flats.

Marilyn says your Dad needs a spank by the way.:chuckle:

#7 ·
Bob,

I'm finally getting caught up enough to take a moment to enjoy the forum posts! From your posts and talking to Terry it sounds like fishing has been great at Salina Point - I miss it already! I really wish I could have been there for home coming - From the pics Terry showed me, it looked like the best ever! And a marlin!!! I really, really wish I could have been there for that! But I truly had a great time while I was there! Thanks for everything! The boat adventure will be memories for a lifetime! Terry and I jumped a lot of large bones on Eleuthera, but they were very, very shy fish - not at all like the happy more friendly bones of Acklins!

I'm an absolute techno-idiot! I managed to get the video footage of Wendy's Mahi, and Terry's Yellow fin down loaded from the camera to my computer, but now I'm having difficulty figuring out how to do anything with it! Let me know if/when you have enough internet speed for me to email it to you and I will give it a try.

Tim

#14 ·
Hey Malcolm,

David and Big Steve are sitting here and say hi. About to go get some lobsters and conch for the week.

Tim and Terry made the run durring a brief flat spell on the gulf Stream in January, very nice boats for down here. They are very dry running, handle the blue water but go skinny as well.

You guys need to get down here next year! Should be great water out west this season as well.

#15 ·
Hello back to David and Big Steve. I have a whole crew who are interested in coming down there next year...we will talk.

Been watching Snotel and water situation looks great for the summer. Just one problem...Heather is pregnant so my fishing days are numbered.

Lathrop and I have one last hurrah planned for May- 8 days in the keys for Tarpon. (I still may make it out to Livingston though).

Glad the new place is off to a good start.

MR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.