Fly Fishing Forum banner

spey leaders?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I would like to tie up some leaders and I was wondering if anyone had any recipes.
I have a few different set ups: I have a 15' #10 with a Wind cutter line, and a 12' #8 with a Loop shooting head.
Juro, we have a forum for flys, it would be cool if we had an archive of leaders for different applications.
thanks,Eddie

#2 ·
Eddie,

Based on advice from some spey fishers on the International Speycasting website, I ordered some poly leaders for my 7wt from Walt Winter at ezflyfish.com and some for my 10 wt from Frank at LoopUSA. Walt's are 12' (including your tippet of 3 feet) and Frank's are 15' (I don't know if that includes the tippet since they haven't arrived yet, but I assume that it does.)

There are some recipes in the archives of the International Speycasting website for leaders, but I found them unsatisfactory because they didn't start with a leader diameter that reflected a percentage of the line tip diameter, nor were they long enough. I have read that the leader should be of the same length as the rod using it.

Now, having said all of that keep in mind that I am a long time flyfisher but a neophyte when it comes to spey rods. Anything I say should be checked out with those more knowlegable.

Crusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.