Fly Fishing Forum banner

Crab Apple- Green Crab and Blue Crab

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
Here are two different Crab Apples to immitaite two different species. The Brown one at the top is the one already posted and is the Mud or Brown crab... The carapace is large.. Aside from the different colors and length of the claws the distinctive feature is the shape of the carapaces... the green...stubby in width but longer from head to tail... and the blue is long in width but thin from head to tail. George Roberts book and Saltwater imitations is the source for me to see the differences side by side.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I know what you mean... the brown one has the distinctive color...but it was really the carapace sizes I was experimenting with...The blue crab has one blue gizzly and two plain blue and dotted with a magic marker. The green one has grizzly hackle for the carapace. It was the first time I expanded the fly into a blue or green...but I will continue to work on these two...I will find the right combo of carapace color and then claws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.