Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thompson Basin, Wachusett Reservoir

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Craig 
G
#1 ·
Fished the Thompson Basin some last week. I picked up two salmon and one brown on a dry, cream colored caddis. It was so much fun seeing the take and setting the hook. I have mainly fished the salt this year, so to get some fish on a dry was a blast. It is real tough casting, there is no room for a back cast, so I ended up loosing a lot of flies in the trees. I was using my 3 wt light line. I have used my 6 wt alot down there in the past and used the roll cast to stay out of the trees. A bait guy by the name of Richard got two real nice salmon 20" and 19" one male and one female.

G
#3 ·
Juro:

It is an inlet stream. The Quinnipocsett (sp?) stream dumps into the Wachusett Reservoir and right where the Quiny ends there is a pump house that pumps water from the Quabin (sp?) Reservoir into the Thompson Basin. When they are pumping water from the Quabin, the water is very cold and creates a current. You can catch rainbows, browns, lakers, brookies, and salmon. I caught a 24" rainbow a couple years ago, on a egg sucking leech with my light line 3 wt, a good fight. The fishing can be very tough for us fly guys. The worm guys always do a lot better. I am very lucky to have this spot so close to my house. It is like a minute drive and I'm there :). Last night there was a lot of wind, which was causing a lot of rippling on the water, which made it tough to see my dry, plus it was getting dark. I had a hit, but it broke my 7x tippet cleanly. I have been wondering what that fish was all day. I guess I will just have to go find out tonight after I get done doing some painting on my house. The fish seem to like a caddis pattern with a yellow body. I'm not a very good etemologist (sp?) maybe someone could help me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.