Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mayflies Top to Bottom

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brad 
#1 ·
I picked up Shane Stalcup's book Mayflies Top to Bottom and it is very good. Great pictures of naturals and his patterns. Innovative materials and patterns. I fished the gilled nymph with good success to fish feeding on Flavs. The medallion sheeting is a great product for wing cases. It looks like epoxy but without the mess and time. My only complaint is that some of the patterns are a bit steppy.

#2 ·
I picked this book up several months ago and spent quite a lot of time taking all of the patterns in; many are just gorgeous. The only complaint that I have about these patterns is that many of the materials are pricey, which I understand is due to the marketing of Stalcup's proprietary materials, but nonetheless I couldn't bring myself to invest the cash to pick up a lot of the stuff. Still, great patterns. I'd be interested to see some of his terrestrial patterns, as an aside.

#3 ·
I about choaked when I paid $6 for a tiny package of the Medallion sheeting. However I found that a little bit goes a long way. One pack will tie hundreds of flies. It is so much easier than epoxy that I think it is worth it. It should work great on Copper Johns. I can imagine that the premade extended bodies are very pricey. The other stuff I use is the Ice dub. I mix a little in with hare's mask and it really catches the light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.