Fly Fishing Forum banner

ideal steelheading weatyher forecast

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
I need to schedule a (business) trip to the Rochester/Syracuse area in the next month or two and am wondering what sort of weather and water conditions I should be looking for optimal fishing on the Salmon river.
What weather would you look for before heading up to the Salmon this time of year?

#2 ·
Salmon River

josko-
I've become a big Salmon River fan, since discovering the great steelie possibilties over there. Been trying to learn all I can, as it's a 6 hour trip for me, and it's nice to hit it right. I prefer the water level to be 335-700cfm, don't like deep wading in 34 deg. water! As far as ideal conditions, well, whenever the fish haven't been harrassed too heavily for days on end, and it's not too dam cold to get out and fish. Tomorrow would be a good day, IMHO, as it's been too cold for the past week for the troops to be dragging the slinkies through all the good pools, and it's supposed to be "warm" (30 degrees). I recently heard an old duffer claim that the steelies will go on the bite when the barometer rises sharply... I don't think there's any way to plan a trip based on optimal conditions any further ahead than 4-5 days, unless you're a fan of the Farmers Amanac. But all that said, I'm certainly no expert! Just an enthusiastic student.

I'd suggest contacting Andrew at Tight Lines Flyshop, a new board sponsor. He's very knowledgable about the Salmon River- he's given me some solid advice on the SR. <http://www.tightlinesflyfishing.com/>

There are a few other sites with good info, but I'd probably get smacked for posting them here, so email me, and I'd be happy to pass 'em on.
Cheers,
macspey aka john

#3 ·
Rochester area??

Yeah, I live there, and occasionally fish the Salmon. (Also lots of smaller streams near here!) It's about a 2 hour drive, depending on how heavy your foot is.

The thing to remember is that it's winter here, and planning that far in advance is tough.

For the last couple of weeks, it has been hard on "fishing conditions" with snow and below zero weather - and it's continuing. It's a little too far to start planning that far in advance. Tug Hill (the feed area for Salmon runoff) has been getting hit hard with lake effect.

Anyway, you need STUDDED NON-FELT WADING SHOES so you don't kill yourself, no matter where you fish, both for wading, and to get to the water, and for not slipping and skidding on your way to any of the rivers.
At a minimum, Korkers are worn by some.

Depending on conditions, keep your mind open - you MAY want to fish the Genesee (right in Rochester) below the falls. It's a good river, too, and has nice runs of fish. There are also numerous smaller streams in the area, as well, and as long as they aren't frozen over, they may offer an alternative if conditions are "off" at the Salmon.

If it's cold, and water temps are down, late afternoon can suddenly turn the fish on, as the ever-so-slight warm up in water temp. over the day takes effect. Best barometric pressure seems to be around 30.0 and 30.2, IMHO, but I fish anytime the weather is bearable.

Good luck,

BobK

#5 ·
You dog! Go ahead, rub it in!

Thanks, Fred. Scaring away our "tourist trade". Truthfully, though, we are in for ANOTHER bad week - Wed. through Fri. highs in single digits, lows below zero. Snow ranges from knee deep up to butt deep!

Hopefully, we are due for a "mid-winter thaw"! We have been good boys, and DESERVE a break!:hehe:

BobK:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.