Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gore-Tex Jacket$

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I know LL Bean, Simms and Patagonia manufacture top-of-the-line "stuff" and their Gore-Tex guide jackets are high-tech, high-priced, state-of-the-art, keep-you-dry-and-warm wonders...Any suggestions as to which one should find its' way to my back (and why)?! Can I get a DEAL if I wait until the winter shows? Soonerorlater!
Thanks for your thoughts.

#3 ·
I have the Sage, it is made of Sympatex a newer hightech material a little lighter then the Gore-tex. What I like about this coat is it folds into it's own pocket, and I can carry it in the rear of my chest pack. I paid $179.00 for it at the Goose. I also had the Cabela's I got 4 good years out of it, great deal for $100.00 bucks.

#4 ·
Solo:
I swear by most everything made by Patagonia. I am on my second SST jacket (first one was never big enough... my daughter uses it now). The key, for me, has been to find one that fits at the Patagonia outlets rather than the retail shops or regular mail order. Patagonia has four or five outlets where they sell slight seconds or discontinued colors or models. I paid $70 for my first SST and $120 for my second and current one. The thing has been through hell and high water and I wouldn't change it for anything. Of course, if I had to pay $310 for it I probably wouldn't have one. Look at their catalog or web site to get their outlets phone numbers. Call them up at various times throughout the year and ask if the have the SST and in what sizes. Size is usually the problem with them having only small and XL. The other problem (for me) is that outlkets only ship to the States (I'm in Canada), so I had to have mine shipped to friends places for later pick up. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Sims GTX is the way to go. The new Guide jacket is very nice, but you could probably find last years top of the line (Rain Cloud?) on sale($220?). The Patagonia SST is good too but I like Sims better. These are both heavy jackets best for standing in the rain all day. If it might rain, these jackets won't be in the back of the vest. The Patagonia Deep Wading jacket would be a better choice in that case. Light enough to pack in your vest, but with good fishing features ($180.). If it is a "just in case" item, Orvis($60?) makes a cheap non-breathable wading jacket that will get you through the day.

#6 ·
Great feedback...Thanks a bunch!...I appreciate the corporate knowledge! I've got a date with Mr&Mrs Salmon in Alaska this July so I'm not pressed for time but I will need a suitable jacket...With that in mind, I will be looking into the "Patagonia outlet" and Simms "left-over" possibilities. Cabelas is another option and their quality has always been fine...LL Bean too.
But soonerorlater the "Gear Meister" (aka Juro) will surface and have a few things to say and, when Juro speaks, a hush falls over the crowd and you can hear all sorts of notes being scribbled in fishing journals
'cause HE KNOWS!
One thing for sure, GEAR certainly has come a long way since the 1900's when I was happy as a clam in my champion sweat shirt...GO FIGURE! and...
Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes or to be cold and clammy! when there's fleece and Gore-Tex just this side of a second mortgage!

#7 ·
Solo -

Actually, my opinion on breathable jackets can not even come close to the feedback given by the hardcores above. Since I didn't work at a flyshop all year, my knowledge has unfortunately been limited as far as new products in the last year are concerned... and even if I was there full time the real test comes from "the bush" where the above gang "hangs out".

One thing I will say on the topic... I've tried to find a breathable jacket that can withstand a full day of pounding rain and failed. I've tried gore-tex (three times), ultrex, thistrex and thattrex. They are all great for off/on rain or full time drizzle. But everytime I have been in all all out pounding rain, the only thing that has kept me dry thru the whole affair is rubber.

Even though I have a couple nice goretex, wading cut, roomy pocket, ultra hood, taffetta lined, hand warmer, neoprene cuff $$ jackets, if I think it's gonna pour all day I grab the $20 Columbia Fraser rubber jacket over a microfleece hooded sweatshirt if it's cold out.

Ed Ward, the steelhead bum, wore his the day we floated the Sauk River c/o Andre Lorenz of Portland OR. in the Cascade Mtns. I wore my high tech gore tex jacket. Over the course of the day, he made some comments about his experiences with gore-tex over the years, and those experiences led him full circle to rubber jackets. Soon my arms had soaked thru and my fleece was wicking water to the lower half of my arms and down my sides. Once my clothing got wet inside I could not get comfortable and was bordering on hypothermic when the sky cleared and I hooked a gnarly Skagit River steelhead that cleaned my clock and warmed me right up.

I've learned this lesson over and over again, buy breatable jacket - get let down, try again, let down again, etc. I hate the sweaty condensation that rubber jackets can cause when the weather is in consistent. It's not a perfect solution by any means. All I can say is that when it's a pounding all day rain I want rubber. When it's not I want breathable. I am still anxious to find a jacket that can handle both, and in my own exploits have not found that jacket yet.

I'd say buy the best you can afford and make sure it was a satisfaction guarantee

#8 ·
Solo,

FWIW, I stumbled over a great deal a Kittery Trading Post this summer. I found a Helly Hansen wading jacket normally about $80 for $36. The outside is 100% polyurethane and the inside is lined with something that doesn't make me sweat. It has the big bellows pockets and D rings. Velcro wristbands on the sleeves and the hood rolls up into the collar. So far this season in torrential downpours and getting pounded by heavy surf I'm nice and dry.

This leads me to it's best(mandatory for me)feature. It of course has a zipper front but it also has quick snaps which I use exclusively. To make a long story short my sister in-law lost her sisters husband. He drowned trying to retrieve a duck he shot. When they pulled up his body in his struggle he had ripped his jacket apart trying to undo the stuck zipper. His jacket was over the top of his waders allowing them to fill up and left him no way out of his waders.

Good luck with what ever you buy, please just keep this in mind.

#9 ·
Thanks!...I can't begin to tell you what a pleasure it is to be able to find this kind of quality information and support from such a noteworthy resource.
The forum is a treasure of corporate knowledge and shared experience. I was contacted by a member who was in a position to share a good deal. 40% off was enough to push me over the edge for a left-over-classic-from-last year...I found just what I had been looking for at a reasonable price...
Warm and dry capitalism at its' finest!
Merci-bigtime!

#11 ·
Some of you will have seen my message on the Stripers section of the site and will be aware that I'm visiting Delaware next May/June. While I'm there I intend buying either the Guide or SST. Can any of you recommend a local supplier, in Delaware or further afield in Philly, Washington or New York where I could pick up a jacket at a reasonable price.

Whatever the price is, it'll be cheaper than Scotland where at the moment the Simms Guide is the equivalent of $418

#12 ·
Phil -

If you can provide information about size and a shipping address, I would be happy to ship the jacket to you en route. Many of the shops would do it as well. I also heard thru the grapevine that if the size is right we might be able to find you a real bargain based on the generosity of people in this community (I need to confirm that).

Solo, Eddie what do you think - is this a possibility?

(I hope I am not speaking out of line here)

#13 ·
I will give a final plug for Cabelas. I virtually live in the thing on my spring salmon trips up north where it NEVER fails to rain at least 30% of the trip. I also abuse it out on the salt water as well from both shore and boat--boat being where it takes the extreme beating--and it has been great. In the future I hope to have a seperate saltwater jacket as I think it shortens the life span of the jacket overall. My bro has the LL Bean coat, about 3 yrs old, and loves it as well. Happy hunting.

#14 ·
Just another vote on the Cabela's jacket. I've had one for going ont he second season and am nothing but pleased with it. It may not be the jacket that Sims or Patagonia offers but its half the price. I'm chiming in from Western Washington steelhead country and as some of you know, it does RAIN here. I've also used it while in my tube in the salt chasing salmon and have no complaints. Two thumbs up.

#15 ·
Phil McDade...
Just curious...Are you making a special trip to spey the renouned waters near Wilmington Del (just below Dow Chemical)? ? Try not to let the water actually touch your skin or your new jacket but, just in case, be sure to bring your detox kit and alot of activated charcoal...(just kidding)
Actually, the coastal areas around Ocean City and Rehobeth Beach could be fairly productive.
You might give the folks at www.tackledirect.com a shout...They could steer you right!
By the way...What does a Scot wear under his kilt?
(natural or micro-fiber)

#17 ·
There are 2 Sims DryCoats(green) and 5 Patagonia SST(tan) @ Fly Fishing Outfitters in SaFrancisco. They are marked down 40%. $179-$189 415 781 3474
AS far as GTX jackets leaking...if waders don't leak... I suspect that the water is coming in through the same hole that the head is sticking out of.A capilene collar effectively wicks water right into the jacket. Some kind of cuff, like on a dry suit(or a spray top) would work best. This would not ventilate well however. Patagonia has some cool sea kyak/dinghy sailing tops that would keep the water out.
Leaving for the Trinity river tonight. Don't think it will rain though it might snow. Eddie

#19 ·
Speaking of Kilts...

A Scotsman wearing a kilt was walking down a country
path after finishing off a considerable amount of
whisky at a local pub. As he staggered and swayed down
the road, he felt quite sleepy and decided to take a
nap, with his back against a tree. As he slept, two
young lasses walked down the road and heard the
Scotsman snoring loudly. They saw him, and one said,
"I've always wondered what a Scotsman wears under his
kilt."
She boldly walked over to the sleeping man,
raised his kilt, and saw what nature had provided him.
Her friend said, "Well, he has solved a great mystery
for us! He must be rewarded!" So, she took a blue
ribbon from her hair, and gently tied it around what
nature had provided the Scotsman, and the two walked
away.

Some time later, the still tipsy Scotsman was awakened
by the call of nature, and walked around to the other
side of the tree to relieve himself. He raised his
kilt...and saw where the blue ribbon was tied. After
several moments of bewilderment, the Scotsman said,
"I dunna know where y'been lad.........but it's nice
ta'know y'won First Prize!!"

#20 ·
Good one Sully...

A salesman from Boston had a love affair with a gorgeous lady from NY city. Each week he would drop by to see her on his route. She would abstain relations until he had the name "Wendy" tatooed on his scottish prizewinner. This puzzled him because her name was "Sally", but he did it and was amply rewarded. One weekend he found out she had been carrying on with every interested man in the northeast, manipulating them all to get the said tattoo. This was more than he could take so he said good riddance and drove for home. Stopping on the thruway for a nature break, he couldn't help but notice the guy next to him with a "wendy" tattoo. He said "so she got you too?". Puzzled, the man replied "sorry, I don't know what you mean". The scorned lover retorted "you know, the tattoo!".

The man replied... "OH, the tattoo... I got that years ago when I was young and single traveling with the tourism committee. It says "<b>W</b>e Hope to Se<b>e</b> You Soon i<b>n</b> Schenecta<b>dy</b>"

#21 ·
Eddie

Thanks for the message about the Jackets. I'll give you a ring today at about 2pm your time(Monday), which is about 10pm here. Hopefully I'll get through and we can sort something out. The folks who have the house in Delaware are there all week. I hope it'll be possible to have it sent there 'cos they could bring it back to Scotland next Monday.

How was the fishing at the week-end?

Cheers.

Phil

#23 ·
solo brought up a good point guys, if you dive or hunt, you never go afeild without your knife!!! it can be as tiny as a 1inch blade, but very handy. and may save your life in a pinch. it may not be easy to cut goretex, but with a sharp knife you may get out of it, or your waders and live to tell the story. Tom D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.