Fly Fishing Forum banner

Saturday on the Cape

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Saturday I fished with JimS, FishHawk, Guernseybass, Rooster, and Tom. The morning action was slow, tide was almost dead low. We move to a new location at the start of the incoming and right a way Jim hits a nice bass. Everyone got in to fish and after a few donations to the bluefish the group moves again. I decide to keep moving and leave the group for a new spot. The move pays off, steady action all afternoon. Most of the fish are 20” – 24” with a few smaller fish, two just short of legal and two legal 29” and 31”. Make my way back to the group figuring they had the same action. Report was a slow afternoon. I’m on the move again but FishHawk talks me out of moving – thanks FishHawk. I make a couple of casts and see a nice fish, high30” to 40”. I’m not in the best position to make a good cast but let it fly, no take. Not 20 seconds later a pod of fish, in the same class are heading my way. Make a quality cast, bam, and fish on. Guernseybass and Rooster help land the fish – thanks to both. Rooster puts the tape to the fish, wow 43”. A new personal best. I will post a pic later.

#3 ·
43" - WOW!!! - now THAT is a class fish!!!! :smokin:

Congrats Craig - I bet that single malt tased good Saturday evening:)

Can't wait to see the pic - you must be in the running for the Yardstick trophy.

Certainly sets the bar for the rest of us!

#4 ·
Awesome fish, I have a guess where it came from too.

There will have to be a ruling on wether or not you can take the prize in the yardstick.

I took a 40" from the surf Friday and would have taken the prize for first shore caught bass over 36", but I'm the point person on the contest so I have to bow out.

It was a great weekend on the Cape! More details to follow.

#6 · (Edited)
just standing next to him watching that fish fight in the shallow water was pretty exciting, i was glad when Dennis offered to gill it and i had to just hold the cameras.

It made up for a pretty slow day.

I did have my own shot 5 minutes later at a pod of 30/40 similar giant beasties, including one fish that rolled and made mine and Craig's eyes pop out, but although the cast was decent the big girls turned their noses up at it.

maybe another day.

GB

#10 ·
There are certainly some big fish putting in an appearance out there.

A 45lb fish was taken at the Canal this past week-end and there are reports of several 50lb+ and one over 60lb on the Vineyard.

Guess where I'll be fishing Saturday night :smokin:

#11 ·
Craig, well done! Gotta say that when you held the fish up for the photos, there was a chorus of WOWs from the onlooking crowd. Good on you. Next milestone 50 inches? I'll be out there in the early a.m. before I have to hop a plane to Tampa. See ya Sunday.

P.S. Post the picture! Everyone wants to see the beast.

#14 ·
Awesome Craig! I too have followed the Fish Hawk's advice in the past. He rarely lets me down in the descion making process when it comes to going with your instincts. Can't wait to see that big girl or was it a boy? Any guess as to it's weight?

Phil Sheffield

#17 ·
I was wondering if we could do a medium rez slide show on the home page that could run along side some of the stories. Guys could send me a couple of shots of there best moments on the water, they could be compiled, set to music and would be a great way to document some of the successes we have had.

I would certainly be willing to put in the time to collect and compile the images. I don't think the finished product would take up all that much server space as well.

Let me know what you think.....

#20 ·
it's true

Yep-
Saw it with my own tape-43".
We do have photos and as soon as I understand how I get them from the digital camera to a computer and then onto the forum- you should see them, unless that techno giant Craig beats me to it.
We had a pretty good week and I'll be back 6/23 to 6/30-now that I know Craigs' secret spot!
It was a great day to be on the water. Wish I had stocked big blue before we left the house!
Cheers,
DK
-

#24 ·
Hey
Glad I have now made it to the electronic age.
Juro, thanks for putting the photo up on the screen.
The Clave cost me over $300, once Chris Simms showed me his new digital that was waterproof and the photo of the striper under water.
I need to figure out how I can get some other photos on the forum, without having to send them to you to post.
See you folks later this month.
Cheers,
Rooster:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.