Fly Fishing Forum banner

Christmas Island

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob Bergquist 
#1 ·
Well after much deliberation and a lot of research and quite a bit of input from my fellow anglers together with a great last minuet deal, I have settle upon a place to go fish for bones this January.
Christmas Island in the Pacific, reportedly stable weather and tons of bones together with some very large Trevally should make for an interesting trip.
I have read a few articles with regard to flies to use there but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has fished there and what they found worked for them.
Every location seems to have a fly or two that is a must have, so any input here would be great while I still have time to tie up a few.
Any other information on the fishing there that would help me prepare would also be great, which as we all know is definitely part of the fun.
Thanks all Trev

#2 ·
flies

Christmas was my first bonefish spot. I went about 6 years ago in April. All I needed were Christmas Isalnd specials. It's basically a shrimp made entirely from crystal flash. Small too. 8 and10's. Nothing like the gotchas, etc like in the Bahamas. But this was also 6 years ago. No pressure back then. I only saw one other group ever out there. I stayed at the Mini Hotel with Eri and Agnes. Agnes is the best host you'd ever have. We also trolled for blue fin trevally, just a great trip in general...

Steve

#4 ·
I've made two trips. First was in September '94 which was spectacular. Second in March '01 during which it rained and blew 40mph 90% of the week. There is plenty of fishing still to be had in the lagoon backwaters but its not quite the same if the sun isnt shining. Take rain gear. If you don't need it, great. If you don't have it, well .....

When the weather is settled, the fishing on the reef can be amazing. A trip to the Korean Wreck is a "must" experience for big bones in the surf.

An hour or so either side of low tide will see bigger than average bones nosing onto the reef. Next time I go I will skip a day with the guides and just walk the beach. You will also see many different species of large fish schooled up on the reef spawning. Then just before sunset, you can sit on the beach with a Fosters and watch the Tuna chasing huge schools of flying fish.

Just watch how you go. If you get washed off, next stop is Japan:whoa:

Take some wire. There are world record barracuda to be had :smokin:

#5 ·
Trevor B said:
Well after much deliberation and a lot of research and quite a bit of input from my fellow anglers together with a great last minuet deal, I have settle upon a place to go fish for bones this January.
Christmas Island in the Pacific, reportedly stable weather and tons of bones together with some very large Trevally should make for an interesting trip.
I have read a few articles with regard to flies to use there but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has fished there and what they found worked for them.
Every location seems to have a fly or two that is a must have, so any input here would be great while I still have time to tie up a few.
Any other information on the fishing there that would help me prepare would also be great, which as we all know is definitely part of the fun.
Thanks all Trev
Trev,

I'd get on the Blanton board and get the recent info on Christmas Island. I heard that the government has moved a whole new bunch of residents onto the island and they have been netting the crap out of the bones and it has gone down hill quickly the past year...just a heads up to check out.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.