Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Line Tamer

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Smcdermott 
#1 ·
I should preface the following with the fact that I have had 2 seasons of great success with this device but wanted to warn others of the potential for system failure.

I was motoring on Sunday from one spot to another in my 20' Jones with my Sage Xi2 12wt and Abel super 11 in the fly line tamer. The line was laying in the bottome with the fly attached to the reel like I have always done. We were doing about 25-30 mph over a 2-3ft chop and bouncing around a bit. Long story short when we came to a stop over a few mile run the rod was gone. Not sure what transpired but my guess is the line somehow came loose, exited the guides and hit the water dragging the rod with it. Make sure you take the time to secure it carefully and keep an eye out.

Sean

#6 ·
A few years ago. Jumped a wake. Lost a Winston XTR/Islander LA4.0 out of my tamer. It flew over my head. I was inches away from catching it. Damn. Live and learn.
A couple of thoughts: velcro the tamer to the combing. It's the wobble that starts the ball rolling. Sandwich the the fly/tippet beween two pieces of velcro on the outside of the tamer. Don't run full throttle with the rod in the tamer. The tamer rocks.

#7 ·
Eddie,

The tamer was bungee corded to my leaning post. I don't use it in the bow. Just never seems to work for me there. I really like the velcro idea and will make that update before my next outing. I was also thinking of looking for some tip of fabric lid or something that could be fashioned around the top.

Dave, the tuna certainly did ease the pain.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.