Fly Fishing Forum banner

Just back from the Keys

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mcutchin 
#1 ·
I just got back the night befor last. I fished out of Tavernier for 11(!) days and the fishing was fantastic. I averaged two jumped Tarpon a day, and released fish up to 120#.
Even caught a couple of bones (bonus).
I have fished at a few international flats destinations, and I am convinced that with the right guide, the Florida Keys are the best saltwater destination in the world.

#4 ·
Eddie,
great report. I'd love to hear where you were fishing down there, as I head out of Tavenier almost yearly. My grandparents live in Hammer Pt. You head out west in the back country?

Nick

#5 ·
nope. spent every day on the ocean side floating in the middle of the tarpon highway. I was getting at least 30 shots a day( one day with poor vis was a little slower, but still jumped a couple).
I fished mostly with a Sage RPLXi 11 weight and it is damn near indestructable. I couldn't believe the pressure I could apply to those fish. I own two because I figured that I would eventually break one. In three seasons the back up has never even been taken out of the sock. Any one want to buy a new RPLXi 3pc 11?
Speaking of indestructable, we were fishing with flies(trad tarpon patterns) tied on Gamigatsu SC-15 2/0. Sure we tstraightened out a few, but I couldn't believe the strength of these thin wire hooks. Sharp with excellent penetration. Such little hooks on such big fish.

#6 ·
Eddie,
thanks for the reply. Sounds like an awesome time, I've only seen one or two fish in my tries down there. But just seeing them was pretty amazing!

nick

#8 ·
What happens when someone says, "GET THE NET!"?

On a couple of days, I was fishing with a published fishing photographer friend who wanted to get some good Keys tarpon pictures.
His days coincided with heavy overcast and slower fishing. First day, I jumped two befor he could get the camera out. Second day, after endless instructions on the shots he needs, what kind of hat I needed to wear and even suggesting that the guide get in the water:)rolleyes: "sure thing"), I hooked a really hot one. With a long strip set, the fish exploded out of the water, and within an instant, tail walked into the boat. In an explosion of water and blood, the wild tarpon careened off the gunnel and continued to jump out of the water at least seven more times. I quickly looked over to see that my buddy had been knocked off his feet by the surprise. His camera soaked, he was shaking and babbling as I urged him to keep shooting. Finally I brought the fish(70 #'s?) to the boat and it was ready to be leadered. "Hold the fish at the boat while I load another roll of film". In that minute, the fish caught it's breath, surged, jumped and snapped the 20# class tippet. Good stuff. We'll see what he got.
I fished other days with another good photographer, and I'm sure that between the two of us (er..three), we got some good images.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.