Fly Fishing Forum banner

Andros Island on your own

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
I've been to North Andros Island two times on my own and know it well. If you would like to learn more about flights and where to stay on a budget and have a blast e-mail me at bonefishmon@aol.com. Small Hope Bay Lodge has a deal with charter companies in Ft. Lauderdale and the Fresh Creek area has very inexpensive accommodations! Check out this site
georgespoint.com The owners are American and work at the AUTEC base. Two villas right on the shore! They have mountain bikes and are very friendly. Fish are somewhat persnickity. Guides are $450.00 a day. You can do quite well on your own if you are a seasoned bonehead. Ocean flts hold the largest fish. Saw numerous 9 pounders.

Phil

#2 ·
You wanna try middle Andros(Mangrove Key) I went there 4 years ago before that new lodge went up... Boy i saw some Bone-dogs that i thought were lemon shark at first. They had to be 15lbs, if they were an ounce!
I did the whole trip off my own back....Coming from England that was no mean feat...But with a little planning and surfing you can stay at various hotels, local houses etc. Then fish as and when, with a guide from one of the lodges as the weather dictates. Or find some flats (not hard out there) and do-it yourself.
I had a great time and would do it that way everytime.... It can save you a bundle if you are on a shoe-string budget.

#3 ·
D.I.Y. in the Bahamas is very do-able and great fun but make sure you steer well clear of established guides areas - they will let you know how they feel if they find you on their flats - and the local government will support them.

#5 ·
Steve

It's the Bahamas - not the USA. It might seem a bit strange at first. A few years ago nobody bothered too much. Then a couple of big party boats started to turn up towing flats skiffs from Florida. They hammered the fish and left, didn't spend a penny locally. People got a bit miffed. The local guides attaitude was - so they screwed up the fishing in Florida - now they want to come down to our waters and screw it up here too! Some Islands had big local problems. Bonefish are very vulnerable to netting and whole schools have been wiped out and used for lobster bait. This happened at Sandy Cay at the South end of Exuma. Slowly, the guides from the various Islands got together into an association and the Bahamian government is starting to understand the economic benefits of a healthy bonefish population.

There is still plenty of unexplored space down there for DIY trips.

#8 ·
I've got my photo with just me and him (Charlie Smith)...Cos you guys were to damn ugly to include :hehe:

I did eat once or twice with my landlady... But the food was better in Moxey's, plus your beer always tasted better than mine Gordo!:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.