Fly Fishing Forum banner

Digital camera input

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Okay, I know that I'll probably get many opinions on this, but I welcome them all. I'm looking for a reasonably priced digital camera that can be used on fishing trips and for up close work as well (fly pictures, etc.). Has anyone had any good experiences with a particular brand?

This purchase will be a gift for my wife. She's quite a photographer, so I don't want to get her anything too cheap, but I don't want to break the bank either. I know they aren't as expensive as they used to be, and I think that now is probably a good time to make the purchase.

Thanks as always for any input. :D

#2 ·
Mark, I use a Cannon Powershot AF5 which is probably less expensive now than when I bought it two years ago. I am waiting for Cannon to come up with a digital version of their waterproof 35mm film camera. I am always very wary when out on the water or in rough weather with the AF5. I have been very pleased with the quality of the pictures - if your wife is a serious photographer, she may be looking for more bells & whistles.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Camera's

One thing you want to consider is whether or not you are going to make prints. If all you are going to do is look at them on your computer, then any cheap model will do. If you want to print these off, make sure you get a camera with at least 1.2 megapixels. This will print a nice 5x7 print that looks really good. Make and models are just personnal preferance. I have several models, and each has it's own good and bad things. I like the models with zoom lenses that are at least two to one not digital zooms. Start there and work your way up. Also look at the storage memory. There are different types here also. Each has its good and bad points. I like the Smart card and use up to 32 megs of card memory, and I can shoot all day long and not have to carry extra memory cards. Well I am not that lucky to catch lots of Steelies. Memory card right now are fairly cheap and are easy enough to change, so pick up what you can afford. Kodak is good, Olympus is good, Canon is good. These are the three that I have, and I like each. Some use a computer disk 3 1/2 floppy, for a memory card and these are lower res pics. This is the only one I don't like, but it was my first. Go to a good camera store and look at the different features and take a few pictures and have them show you the differences. Make them give you a print right there. You will notice some big differences after the printing....... Good luck. I hope this is some help!:)

#6 ·
Camera's

One thing you want to consider is whether or not you are going to make prints. If all you are going to do is look at them on your computer, then any cheap model will do. If you want to print these off, make sure you get a camera with at least 1.2 megapixels. This will print a nice 5x7 print that looks really good. Make and models are just personnal preferance. I have several models, and each has it's own good and bad things. I like the models with zoom lenses that are at least two to one not digital zooms. Start there and work your way up. Also look at the storage memory. There are different types here also. Each has its good and bad points. I like the Smart card and use up to 32 megs of card memory, and I can shoot all day long and not have to carry extra memory cards. Well I am not that lucky to catch lots of Steelies. Memory card right now are fairly cheap and are easy enough to change, so pick up what you can afford. Kodak is good, Olympus is good, Canon is good. These are the three that I have, and I like each. Some use a computer disk 3 1/2 floppy, for a memory card and these are lower res pics. This is the only one I don't like, but it was my first. Go to a good camera store and look at the different features and take a few pictures and have them show you the differences. Make them give you a print right there. You will notice some big differences after the printing....... Good luck. I hope this is some help!:) One more thing is too go to www.Webshots.com and look at the different fly fishing pictures there in the community pages. Ask the people who have taken the pictures what they are using!

#7 ·
I've had good luck with a couple of Coolpix 990's (predecessor to the 995) that we have at work. This camera would probably exceed your wifes demands. The only time we have had a problem is with with extreme low light imaging on a microscope. One thing I have to add is that 99.9% of the time IMHO you won't need the highest resolutions that many cameras offer.

#8 ·
The JoanMeister says..

Joan's on her 4th Olympus; just keeps 'up-grading' as they come out with bigger/better toys (and she skoffs at my rods.) Her present one is an Optical zoom (she says skip the dig. zoom) mod. 3030. Also adds that 1.3 meg.pix is pretty minimal. 3 would be far better for quality pictures.

In that vein she said look for a camera that will take 960 x 1280 or 980 x 1260 for the best quality pictures. Haven't a clue what that means (as I said I'm still a 35mm kind of guy) but apparently that's good. Typings a bit complicated now as I've got 12# of amorous cat in my lap. ("Skip the keyboard dummy, work behind my left ear, yes, yes that's it .xmmcvkj[alskj").

Anyway, she take (litterly) thousands of pics on her dig. camera (something like 8 or 10 32mm 'memory' chips) and what she can do with 'computer enhancement' should be against the law. Believe almost nothing anymore. That 20" fish, want it to be 40? No Problemo.:tsk_tsk:

#10 ·
Fuji 2600Z FinePix

Definitely check this camera out if you are looking for something in the $300 range.

2.3 Megapixels
Optical Zoom
16Mb Flash Card
Rechargable Batts & Charger
USB Support

Its the big, big, big brother (technology wise) to what I have, and I have had two friends buy this camera on my recommendations - both are very happy with it.

-- Tom

#11 ·
For fly photos you're going to need something with good macro capabilities, as well as a pixel density of at least 2M. It should also be capapble of storing phtographs in an uncompressed format such at TIFF (which also means a decent amount of storage -- I found a 64MB smart card to hold about 15 TIFF images at 3MP.

I've tried several digicams over tha last few years: my wife's Olympus 340, the Canon S100, a Sony (I don't recall which model), and Nikon Coolpix 950 and 995. The only ones which met the above criteria for fly photos were the Nikons.

For outdoor work make sure whatever you have has an optical viewfinder as well as LCD, as the LCD will wash out in bright sunlight.

Stu

#12 ·
Stu -

I happened to pick up a coolpix at the store and was able to macro zoom in to look at my fingerprint in amazing detail under ambient light. I believe you on the macro capabilities and this will influence my purchase for fly photography for sure!

The other criteria is a little harder to meet.... WATERPROOF! I have a drawer full of high end cameras that bit the dust in saltwater fishing situations where I had to get the picture. Even the spray and mist trashes 'em so I can't wait until the digital waterproof becomes a reality.

Maybe for now I will keep using my trusty Canon waterproof, it's been great to me so far.

#13 ·
Thanks to everyone so far for the input. I will definitely keep it in mind when making my purchase.

My wife has a waterproof camera carrier that she uses when we're taking pics in the outdoors. During inclement weather or near the surf, we take it out, shoot a pic, and put it back away in its waterproof holder. This has worked wonders on our regular cameras so far, so I'm hoping that it will be helpful in retarding any deterioration of a digital.

Again, thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.