Fly Fishing Forum banner

Micro Flounder Around

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
This one is just over 1 1/2 inch long ,added a few little red spots and it's weighted with dumbell and coil wire around the shank...sinks head down somewhat in my sink...I will see if it acts like a flounder on the strip in the tub.. I am looking for a slight jump and sink on short strips...hope the dumbell will make small sand cloud. Keep in mind that this has not been tested yet but I would be very surprised if it does not trigger a strike in the proper conditions, presentation and strip... we shall see...I like the size of this from what I have seen in Chatham.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
John,

Excellent, I did not realize there were 6 types of flounders. Found the link below which provides technical information on many salt water species.

Do you have the other side of the fly a lighter color such as gray or white and if so how did you do that?

I wonder if a striper would be discerning enough to reject one which did not so to say match the indigenous flounders to your waters ? From what has been written on the board it appears that stripers can be very selective at times.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/sos/spsyn/species.html

Hal

#3 ·
Hal, Thanks for that site... This is the way I see it... the stripers are ...but this fly is an experiment... I will keep it in my fly box but I will not be looking around for a juvie flounder blitz... I will try it on the Monomoy or South Beach flats while sight fishing... I don't know anyone who has tried flounder flies there... since they can be easyly spooked I need to see if these little babies will look different enough to trigger some response.

#4 ·
John, all of my flounder fy 'experiments' were on the bayside where I saw predation occurring. Success rate was very high, on a really tough day as well. But on the south side especially up around the tub I frequently see juvie flounder and have been thinking this to be the next form of trickery for the dog days, as I see you are. Lots of fun ahead this season! :)

#5 ·
Yes Juro, I agree.......Hal, I am sorry I did not answer your original question but the flounder we see are similar to the Summer Flounder that is on the site you sent...little or big willy nilly spots and brown to light brown to tan color to blend in with the sand.

#6 ·
striblue said:
. . . brown to light brown to tan color to blend in with the sand.
I think I read somewhere that flounder, like many other forms of sea life, can actually change their coloration to match their surroundings.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.