Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins Flies

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  titleguy 
#1 ·
I'm in full tying mode for the trip now. Thought I'd post a couple of my "go to" patterns for the trip. Starting with the fly I'll use 70% of the time.......

Bunny Gotcha:

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Dave -

I can never judge a fly simply based on it's choice of colors, proportions and design. If so these would be a slam dunk.

However I need to fish them to really appreciate what they have to offer so please tie 4-6 of each for my flybox to validate :lildevl:

#9 ·
Bonefish love legs....

Dave,

I don't know if you have tried any flies with rubber legs but I had very good luck with them on my trip a few years back and know others who swear by flies that incorporate them as well. The ones with the orange legs in this box were particularly appetizing to some tough educated fish we encountered. My camera battery died as I tried to get some close ups but if you are interested I can get some detail shots tomorrow. I am headed to Mexico in May or I would be offering up the box as a loaner to you guys.

Sean

Attachments

#10 ·
Dave, nice job! I think you are definitely covered if they are in the 4, 6 & 8 range. If we get the boat, you might want to tie some with a little weight in size 2 for the bigger singles and doubles in deeper water. A couple crab patterns would put you over the top.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,

Tight-lines, all the flies use standard bead chain for the eyes except for the mantis shrimp which uses mono eyes. For whatever reason my camera has trouble with the close ups and distorts the eyes. The wing on the puff is tan kiptail.

Sean, my fly box looks exactly like yours. I've gotten really carried away all patterns shown here have been tied with and w/o legs as well.

#13 ·
I'm going to Eleuthera for 5 days in a couple of weeks- You guys ave already helped my out tremendously with patterns, but how about quantity? A dozen of the usual suspects in the usual sizes enough? My current list is something like this:

1 dozen tan charlies- 4, 6
1 dozen pink charlies 4, 6
1 dozen gotchas- 4, 6 mixed white, tan, pink
1 dozen puffs 6- pink, orange
few simrams
few mixed in sili shrimp
few mixed in crabs
bitters in olive, pink
2 dozen clousers- chart/white, all white, pink white 2, 4, 6
few seaducers, deceivers, etc. for Jacks and Cuda.

What else?:confused:

#15 ·
The clousers, some crabs, simrams ( my go to gulf beach fly) deceivers, seaducers I already have. I'm very light on the traditional bonefish flies though and everything I've read or been told says bring it as there is nowhere on Eleuthera to buy flies. Got a lot of tying to do in the next 12 days.:hihi:

#16 ·
Last year I threw a little tying kit in with me. I tied all these different variations and found that I fished the same three flies all week. The kit saved me because I would spin up four or five each night before I went to bed to replace any that were damaged or lost that day.

It doesn't take up much space, just a plastic bag with a limited amount of materials and a cheap beginners collapsable vise.

#17 ·
Titleguy,

Make sure some of those puffs have plastic or even blind eyes for the tailing fish.
If they are spooky you'll be glad to have them in your arsenal. Make sure you have enough #8's as well. They often save the day.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.