Fly Fishing Forum banner

"The Otis Bug" of Rogue River fame ...

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gstrand 
#1 ·
Things you learn. Been sitting next to a grand old gentleman for the better part of a year at a monthly lunch group. To just say Otis Swisher is a local 'institution' in fly fishing would not give anywhere enough 'credit where credit is do.

So, we're passing around flys that folks have tied of late and "Otis" remarks to the effect that that particular tie looked like it would be a very effective "Otis Bug." Another fellow at the table remarked: 'you should know, they're named after you.'

First of the flys happened as the New Age company sent Otis some new sample materials and he sent them back a few patterns he thought would be effective. The rest is history as this fly is the primary 'go to' pattern on much of the Rogue River system.
fae

#2 ·
Fred,

You should see if you can post a picture or scan of one of his flies because I know there are many folks outside of Southern Oregon who have no clue what an "Otis Bus" is. And it would also be very nice to see one tied by the master and originator himself.

#5 ·
:>) Simple is frequently the best.

:D

Average "Otis Bug" won't take a minute to tie so you can spend a couple of hours at your bench and be good to go.

Only 'well, who knows,' is what colour bead head/colour combo's you want to put on the thing. Duel colours (dark on top, lighter on the bottom is a frequent tie.

fae

#7 ·
And now you know the "Rest" of the Story!

As Paul Harvey would say :D

Fred - thanks for filling in the last half of that puzzle for me. When you first told me something about Otis Bugs in a long-ago email, I don't recall learning how/who.

Sure do miss Wednesday and Friday laughs!

#9 · (Edited)
Yup... Otis is a good guy.

I met him at, of all places, the Expo Ponds...

Here is a story I wrote about it...

He's a legend and doesn't even care or claim anything...

I also created that regionally specific board we were talking about at the other end of the table while you were basking in the celebrity glow: Southern Oregon Fly Fishing Board

It's a Southern Oregon Specific spot... I can add a long rod spot if you like, you can be the monarch of the area.

Anyhow, Otis is a great guy, and fun to fish with... he's forgotten about more fish than I've ever caught...

-Gus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.