Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jiggies (natural & synthetic)

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Hook: Typical saltwater (here, a size 4)
Weight: Cone or bead (here, an orange Hot Cone)
Thread: Mono
Wing: Bucktail in same or alternating colors
Flash: Any flash material (I like Krystal Flash)
Eyes: Stick on prism
Head: Epoxy

The entire pattern can be tied with the hook upside down in the vise. The fly pictured here was done with orange over white bucktail.....it's very important to keep the wing and flash materials only on the top of the hook shank. This helps to keep the bend acting as a keel and the point riding up.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This last picture is of a jiggy tied on a 1/0 hook with olive over aqua Super Hair. The weight in this case is an Orvis cross-eyed cone with 3D eyes placed in its recesses. It takes a significant base of tying mono to keep this head from spinning during the tying process.

This fly is larger, about 5 inches. The others are about 3 inches.

I'm partial to the use of synthetics for this pattern because of durability issues.

Attachments

#5 ·
Great Flies Mark...love the shape and flash... by the way..picked up some of that "silli skin" from Rich Murphy tonite at UFT, wait till you see this stuff..Did a blue crab with it and will post tomorrow..I will bring some of it to the show.

#6 ·
striblue said:
Great Flies Mark...love the shape and flash... by the way..picked up some of that "silli skin" from Rich Murphy tonite at UFT, wait till you see this stuff..Did a blue crab with it and will post tomorrow..I will bring some of it to the show.
Jesus Mary and Joseph - you bolt out of a meeting with new material and then immediately go to the bench???:eek: :eek: :eek: why don't you just work Third Shift someplace after your day job! :eyecrazy:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to another late-night, coffee-induced StriBlue ScissorHands Tying Blitz, brought to you by Folger's Coffee; "The best part of STAYING UP is Folger's in your cup!!!" :whoa: :hehe: :D

Oh, Mark - just as an aside - nice work ;)

#7 ·
A correction is necessary here...Dave, I never drink Folgers.. I usually have my Starbucks Christmas Blend at this time of year, mixed with a little Sumatra... with the right grind and amount for a medium French Press. real light cream and real sugar... now... you know that don't you:eek:

#8 · (Edited)
Forgiveth Me, O Wonder of Wonders, for I have sinned against the glories of Java Sumatra fresh ground beans.

The Folger's thing worked better than getting into your rocket fuel coffee combinations, and besides that, not everyone is awed by your French Press anyway!!!! :razz:

I am, however, sentenced to a life of paying continuing tribute to a damned glass jar in your kitchen!!!:whoa:

Vive' la difference'!!! Electronics Forever !!!

#10 ·
nice ties

Mark,

Nice flies. I especially like the chartreuse one. Found Pop Fleyes under the tree this year and will start experimenting with Jiggies soon.

One question - did you expoxy the orvis head or can you get away with a coat of hard as hull or some equivalent laquer to keep the eyes attached?

Thx,

Dave

#11 ·
Dave- All of the cones are Orvis (just by default...my local shop is an Orvis dealer), so I'll assume that you're asking about the Cross-Eyed Cone head on the fourth fly with the eyes added. To answer your question, I use 3D stick-on eyes that are perfectly sized to fit the recesses of the cone. No epoxy needed in this case, as the adhesive on the back of the eyes is quite durable. In fact, I once managed to accidentally get one on the back of my thumbnail and needed a bodkin to pry it off.

If I remember the name of the eyes, I'll let you know. The come in several colors (red, yellow, green) and sizes, and are concave in appearance. The concave surface coupled with the recess makes the eyes almost flush with the rest of the cone. And since they become flush and don't protrude, in my experience they simply don't get banged off. I'll have some with me at the show that you can check out if you're there.

If you read only one tying book this year, make sure it's the one you got for Christmas. You won't regret it.

John and Fix....you guys kill me. :hehe:

#12 ·
Thanks Mark. I use the real eyes for Real Eels and the fly usually gets fried by a blue before the eyes fall off. Pretty similar fly to the Jiggy so I imagine the result will be the same.

Loving the Pop's book. His patterns are very suggestive but can be tied in a reasonable amount of time. I also got Stripers on the Fly by Tabory and Caolo's sight fishing book so I have plenty of reading to get me through to the spring :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.