Fly Fishing Forum banner

That's steelheading for ya...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  andre 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Lots of truth and many good points in this article, but the character who wrote it must be the king of the name droppers.

And, 21 steelhead caught in four hours? Give me a break -- you couldn't play them in fast enough to catch 21 in four hours unless they were all under 10" long. What is that, one fish every 12 minutes or so, if my math is right.

Anyway, as I said, he speaks truth when he talks about the vagaries of steelheading. More often than not, I've tried to answer the question of how to catch steelhead in a river that's full of them--and come up short.

#3 ·
You aren't kidding! I have a search tool for fresh flyfishing content and that one came up. Glancing thru it appeared to be a typical steelhead hijinks tale, but in re-reading it I agree, it's hard to find the story behind his inflated ego!

There's a big "feedback" component at the bottom... GO FOR IT!

#6 ·
Before I clicked on the link, I wondered to myself if your were talking about Fenton Roskelly.

Sure enough. First off he is ancient and is well known in the area for his "reporting". He has even been accused of fishing a fishery hard until he tires of it and then writing about it in glowing terms to get the crowds away from his next area of focus. Not sure if he is guilty or not but he is certainly a character. I wouldn't believe everything he says but hey he is a fisherman after all.

As for me, two days on the Snake this past weekend resulted in five pulls and two fish to hand. Not 21 in 4 hours but I was happy. Especially happy to assist an old college roommate into his first fish on the fly. That made the whole trip worth it.

Sinktip

#8 ·
Different Ed Ward moved to Ca for the Steelheading!

Hooked not landed 21 steelhead

I'd be changing my waders after the first six fish, well on the seventh.

my vote for Jacka$$ of the day or the editor struct "and then I woke up"

andre just counting the days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.