Fly Fishing Forum banner

TV Fishing Shows

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I must still be in a bad mood and feel like gripping. I enjoy fishing shows because they are about fishing... I really don't watch much ,especially shows like Jimmy Houston, etc. BUT this morning I plugged in and have just about had it with the way these guys fish. Little Bass, little to me in a way... rods stuck firmly in their gut and setting the hook as though they were going to rip the lips off a fish... or trying to show the audience that these are BIG babies! You would think they should be showing the right way to set a hook... and all that arm and back arching and power yank to bring in a 12 inch bass is really rediculious. They teach nothing at all about the right way.. it is TOTALLY uneccessary to do what they are doing to hook a fish. I was sure that the "power yank" would have pull the fish up over their heads on the first yank!!!!!!!!!! Anyway that'd my grip... all was not lost since the last show I watched was Flip Paillot.... fishing for small tarpon and strip setting the hook and "a little Quick rod raise.... then his usual pleasant converstion about things, and his gentle handling of the fish... baby tarpon Bigger than the bass I saw earlier.:mad:

#28 ·
I heard Ted Williams used to have a show down in Florida after he retired, and nearly beat the crap out of a cameraman who forgot to load the film in the camera right before Ted caught the biggest tarpon he had caught to that point....musta been something like that scence with DeNiro in "The Untouchables"..OUCH!!!
Shep:eyecrazy:

#29 ·
Saw a show which was quite good called Fly Fish tv. very informative. No huge ego's on the show which is why it was good. Charlie Moore is an ass. Right up there with him is Mark Sosin . A big loud mouth who hogs the camera and belittles the guide. Glad he's not on anymore. Just my .02
FishHawk

#30 ·
I agree 100%. I also submit they are recycling the same fish over and over.............

Striblue.............will you be at the Reel-Time shoot-out at Monomoy in June? I'm headed that direction June 11 for several days of striper fishing. Will be the best week for big stripers with the best possible tide.

#31 ·
Bones... can't say for sure at this point...but June is a month where I am there every weekend... unless I have Lacrosse games to attend. I suspect they will be over by them but I have a college and a high school to cover. I will try to hook up with their schedule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.