Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing Shows!!!!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
I just finished watching two fishing shows on ESPN2 & now I feel like a Crack Addict!!

The first show was on Fly Fishing for Trout in Patagonia. The second was John Havlachek fishing the FLA Everglades by poling in a canoe. They were catching Reds, drum, trout & Snook.

I was thinking to myself, where can I do some holdover fishing & how many frequent flyer miles do I have?

I am seriously considering a winter fishing trip, if I can keep the cost down. I would like to take my dad on a once-in-a-lifetime fishing trip. Has anyone done a FLA Keys trip in the winter? If so, what are the approx. costs? How many days minimum? When’s the best time to go? What areas would you recommend?

Also, other recommended destinations that have low cost? Web sites to do some research?

#2 ·
Yeah... I know the feeling!

I've done the keys three times on a shoestring (no I don't know where that saying came from!). I caught bones, cuda, ladyfish, saw tarpon, even caught a puffer on a fly - all from shore. From the boat I caught mahi, bonito (which were small albies), king, spanish and BIG cuda off the wreck. Had a sailfish explode on the rig a few times but never hooked up.

The third time was the charm... I knew what types of hotels to target, how to stalk bones, where and how to catch cuda, how not to get the crap scared out of me by big rays, etc. I have a lot of information from the research I did and have a few friends in the area as I am sure many of you do too.

Anyone interested in doing a Florida Keys Destinations guide with me this winter? Might as well, it's months before the fishing in the upper half of the northern hemisphere and if we don't end up snapping and heading south this year I suspect a few will next year (myself included). Sounds like a worthwhile project to me.

#7 ·
I poked around a little & it looks like things have been slow in FLA this month. It looks like March may be the better bet. My wife & I were already considering a trip to FLA in March, probably around the 3rd week. She has family in Talahassee, including an Uncle & Cousin who sometimes fish around St Georges. Maybe my best would be to try to plan a side trip during that time frame. At least it would save me some airfare, because I'd already be down there. I have not written off the idea completely, but a short time, short notice, & low cost Keys trip is starting to sound like a difficult feat to pull off. A lot of planning & local knowledge seemes to be the key. BigCat, I think if I'm serious about trying this, this year or in the near future, I should pick your brain & the brains of other who have done it sucessfully before.

So many places to fish, so little vacation time!

BTW: Whos starting the plans for Carolina, Fall 2001 ??

BTWW: We got shout out of "The Naked Fish" (1 1/2 hour wait), but we had a nice dinner elsewhere anyway.

#8 ·
Juro,

You slippped in a reply while I was typing. The answer is yes, because I wanted to try to cover my Dad. But that means $2K for two guys splitting Room, Car & Guides. Also, see my above reply. Also, also, I don't think I have enough Delta miles for a free ticket (yet)!

#9 ·
GregO -

I've done three days on $500, no guides, airfare extra. In fact, one of the years was swung by flying in a few days early to get the advance / SAT night stay discount of $900 (yes nine-hundred!) so my boss said try not to spend over $500, save him $400 and have a good time. I stayed at very modest places except for one night when I stayed at Holiday Isle, drank the rest of my money and ate big at that roadside seafood place (conch chowder, yellowtail snapper fillet and key lime pie) before driving up to attend the business meeting. Now that was a budget bonefish trip if there ever was one.

If you end up going I have some good spots to try (wet wade) where I had good success without a guide. I might also be able to hook you up with some good folks down there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.