Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic salmon fly patterns

8K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  wilbert 
#1 ·
Are there any good web sites out there that list fly patterns and show you how to tie them??? also can anyone recomend any good books.

Cheers.

#3 ·
Book

Try "the fly-tying bible" by peter gathercole.

It covers the main salmon flies (modern). It also covers most other fly types, with step by step instructions and clear illustrations on how to make each fly.

This book is an essential piece of armoury for both beginners and competent tyers.

Just annoyed I only found it last year!

Gordon

#5 ·
If you are looking for a book to learn how to tie married featherwings, see if you can find a copy of Ron Alcott's BUILDING SALMON FLIES. It is no longer in print, but it is the best, step-by-step married wing tying book I've ever seen, and it is available for around $15.00 US on the used book market.

#6 ·
Willie gunn I have been tying flys for trout and salmon for 8 years on and off but dont get the time to get to a good standard. Most of the flys that I tie are either copies of ones that I have bought or made up patterns, some of which have been quite sucessful. What are the best tying materials to buy that would cover a wide range of patterns? as some of the materials can be rather expensive (i have a very limited budget). Thanks for everyone else that has posted a reply, the info has been of good help.

#7 ·
Tie hairwing patterns, leave off jungle cock if called for, use squirrel, bear hair, and synthetics, use old style Mustad hooks (36890 about $10 per K or about $0.15 per hook in lower quantities)), and you should have no problem keeping your tying on the reasonable side.

#8 ·
Wilbert, So you know how to just really need to know the patterns. I tie to catch fish not fishermen, my heads are big and untidy and sometimes encroach on the eye, but they seldom fall to bits and they work. I start with the pattern from either -
Successful Modern Salmon Flies Peter Mackenzie-Phillips which has a how to and the recipes.
Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland Stan Headley which gives me most patterns.

I couldn't attempt a feather wing in fact seldom use feathers at all, often replacing hackles with artic fox. pure philistine. I have recently modified the Willie Gunn by just tying the wing direct onto a tube, no body at all. So I have two colours an aluminium Willie Gunn and a brass Willie Gunn. Do the salmon mind? I'm not sure if the ones I've been catching are just coming to tell me the flies should have a gold ribbed black body.

Materials I use most, are bucktails in mixed colours, artic fox again mixed colours and a few sparkly bits

#9 ·
Malcolm' There is more to life than Willie Gunns! ;) I believe someone once said something to the effect of "variety is the spice of life". Or to put it another way "it would be a sad state in the affairs of a man to limit himself solely to but one whisky for the entirety of his life". :tsk_tsk:

#11 ·
More misinformation Herr Moderator? (*g*)

flytyer said:
If you are looking for a book to learn how to tie married featherwings, see if you can find a copy of Ron Alcott's BUILDING SALMON FLIES. It is no longer in print, but it is the best, step-by-step married wing tying book I've ever seen, and it is available for around $15.00 US on the used book market.
Frank Amato Publications re-issued Ron Alcott's "Building Classic Salmon Flies" months ago.

Hywel

#12 ·
Actually Igor it was re-released 10/31/2004, only about a month ago, so cut the guy some slack.

That being said I just got this and it is most excellent. By far the best book I have seen for a beginner looking to getting into tying the classic flies. Lots of goods hints and tips throughout that the other books skip over.

-sean

#13 ·
Willie gunn do you tie most of your patterns on tubes or do you tie trebles,doubles and singles too?? I have just started tying tubes and find them much less hastle to tie, I find small trebles are a nightmare (10's and smaller). I have most of the materials that everyone has mentioned but no jungle cock. Is it worth buying some as i think flies look much better with it but do the fish?

Thanks

#15 ·
alternative hooks

wilbert said:
Willie gunn do you tie most of your patterns on tubes or do you tie trebles,doubles and singles too?? I have just started tying tubes and find them much less hastle to tie, I find small trebles are a nightmare (10's and smaller). I have most of the materials that everyone has mentioned but no jungle cock. Is it worth buying some as i think flies look much better with it but do the fish?

Thanks
I also hate tying on small trebles. I find it far too time consuming and normally end up with a dozen hook pricks on my thumb and forefinger. :mad:

I have now resorted to tying most of my salmon flies on doubles.

I find them so much easier to on.

Personally I think they swim far better than trebles.

And over the years I have found that doubles land just as many, if not more fish than trebles. Whether it is because fish can leaver the treble out easier with the extra hook is up for debate? :confused:

Gordon

#19 ·
Willie G
Steelhead will take straight yarn(and a hell of a lot of other stuff too) and I suspect Atlantics will too, if given the chance - so why do we tie ornate stuff?, for me it's to prevent boredom at the vice! Ever tried a spey version of the "willie gunn"?
Speydoc

#21 ·
Atlantic Salmon Fly Patterns

I started tying my own tube flies last season. The most successful were the Willie Gunn and Cascade variants with jungle cock eyes. I just managed to buy a jungle cock cape on e-bay so I will have enough for years now. I have no doubt they add to attraction greatly particularly in spring and autumn. They also work well on Irish Shrimp Flies which I use a lot in trebles size 8 and 10.
I use Bucktail mostly on the tubes but also calf cair and goats hair. Anything that moves well in the water is worth using. A few strands of glowbrite add to the effect especially orangey green. I don't think the salmon are too worried about nicely tied bodies. Mine usually fall apart fairly quickly particularly after a few kelts have given them a doing !! The beauty of them is that you can strip them down and retie them in minutes and, if, like me, you are not an expert at tying a double turle knot, they sit nicely in the water on a double blood knot attached to the hook.
I met a guy in the North of Scotland who told me Polar Bear hair from the bear's scrotum was a must for salmon tubes. I asked him how you could get close enough to the Polar Bear to cut the hair. He was reticent about telling me, but he did have a nasty limp and was blind in one eye. :D

#22 ·
oh, THAT bear,,,,

Devronmac said:
I met a guy in the North of Scotland who told me Polar Bear hair from the bear's scrotum was a must for salmon tubes. I asked him how you could get close enough to the Polar Bear to cut the hair. He was reticent about telling me, but he did have a nasty limp and was blind in one eye. :D
Unbelievable! I met a Polar Bear last spring- had to be the same bear. He offered me a wee dram of cheer, and when he filled our cups from a flask of 25 year-old Balvenie, I asked him how in the world he'd come by this treasure. Well, he said it was too strange to describe, but he did say it was a "Trade" with a Flytier from the North of Scotland. :chuckle:

PS- This is the only Polar Bear I've ever noticed wearing a Tartan Speedo :hihi:

Happy Holidays
macspey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.