Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tying Tube Flies Question:

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Gary W 
#1 ·
When tying tube flies on a mandral, i was wondering if the tube is suppose to rotate on the mandral? I am using a devise ( I don't know the make of this tool) that fits into the jaws of my vise and has 3 differant size mandrals. I am using a combination of plastic, alumunim, and brass tubes. When tying the tubes will rotate, this makes attaching materials and wrapping difficult. This is my first attempt at tying tubes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thx.
1 More

#3 ·
Another suggestion...

A rotating tube is a real pain in the keester!
The HMH mandrels sport a slight flange at the end of their quite rigid tying shaft...
The tube slides up the mandrel shaft and then fits snugly over the widening flange and free spooling is essentially eliminated...
If your mandrels don't have that flange, make one yourself...
Wrap some flat waxed nylon thread to build up a flange (about a 3/16' widening taper) and secure it with a smear of super glue...give it a chance to fully cure.
Slide on your working tube over the "enhanced" shaft...if the build up is sufficient, it should hold the tube fast!
That's what I did before I got the HMH tool...cheaper versions have not-so-rigid flangeless mandrels...junque!
Do it right the first time and you only have to do it once!

Also, while you're tying...
No need to wrap too tightly with the thread...
Too tight and the tube will be compressed and removing it (off the mandrel) will be a problem...
A dab of head cement, as you tye, will ensure that the material will stay put, and make for a much more durable fly!
A little practice goes a long way! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
One of the easiest ways that I have found to eliminate this, assuming I am working with a similar tool, is to slide the tube on to the mandrel/pin, followed by a piece of silicon tubing, push into the tool tightly and tigten the screw. The compressed silicon tubing should be enough to hold the tube steady.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

#6 ·
You could also try to use a blind eye salmon hook as a tube holder, the gradually increasing diameter usually holds the tube securely. Sometimes when using brass or aliminium I have found that the tube material rotates on the inner tube, but super glue fixes this. Other alternatives to the commercial tube tools are needles of variaous kinds. Even if I have a tube vise I seldom use it since I find the simple hook or needle system works better.

Knut

#7 ·
small finishing nail with a threa wrap

Why spend money on a mandrel when you can use a small finishing nail of approximately the correct inside diameter of the tube, use thread to wrap it for the EXACT inside diameter of the tube(or the thickness required to make a tight inside fitso the tube does not spin , and you have a perfect mandrel that will hold tubes tightly and firmly...just insert the hammer end on the nail in the vise and lock her down. Pus h the tube on the pointed nail end until it is firm and you are good to go.I have tied a ton of tubes in the last month in anticipation of a trip, and this device has worked perfectly for me....2 cents.

#8 ·
Touching again on the blind eye salmon hook method, a method i used to use was to take any large single salmon hook and bend it. What you do is heat it and staighten out or snip the eye. Heat it again and bend it so that you have small bumps along the plain of the hook that increase in size as you get towards the bend. When you have achieved this, heat the whole hook and drop immediately into hot water to temper the metal.

It's a bit of a pain to do but works very well. It's a method that I used to use that I forgot all about until this thread. I may start employing this method again as, it is very effective at holding the tube securely.

Also, a lot cheaper than the mandrels and special tools.

Hope this helps somebody.

Tight lines,
Gary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.