Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tube Fly Question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
This approach to saltwater flytying has intrigued me for the past few months because of its versatility in tying a variety of large patterns. I've got the HMH tube fly attachment, mandrels, tubes, etc. What I don't have is a supply of short shank, wide gape saltwater hooks that fit in the junction tubing for quick release from the tube fly on the hookset.

A quick review of available hooks that have a short shank, somewhat wide gape, and are saltwater compatible reveals one type - Tiemco 611SP. It is available only in sizes 1/0 thru 3/0.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Simms

#3 ·
I've been using the targus 4310 in a size 2-4 for my tubes. They're an octopus hook and they work great. Have an up eye, so I usally snell them. Bag of 50 costs around $5.

I use them for steelhead, but the hooks are stainless and heavy wire, so i'm sure they'd fit the bill.

Neil

#4 ·
Neil

If you use an up eye hook you will notice that the hook will have a tendancy to ride out of alignment. To prevent this try cutting the main tube at approx a 45 degree angle. Make sure you cut the angle to correspond with the way you want the hook to hang. The angle will mate up nicely with the up eye hook angle. Once the angle is cut then you can place your hook holder tubing in place.

regards....jake

#6 ·
Thanks for the response on the tube fly question. After reviewing the posts from the west coast on tube flies, I reviewed hooks available from Gamakatsu, Owner and Partridge. It is interesting that they are live bait hooks meeting the round eye, wide gape and short shank criteria. Perhaps that style of hook should be considered for saltwater flytying. It is my understanding that a short shank with a round eye equates to better hook setting with a strip set, and the fish has less leverage than it would with a long shank.

If the Tiemco 600SP hook proves to be ineffective for tube flies, I'll try the live bait hooks.

Simms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.