Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sea Run Trout Rx for post Striper season depression?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bonito Bob 
#1 ·
Would anyone be kind enough to provide a location or two and some simple techniques for catching these fish in coastal Southern Maine? I've tried unsuccessfully a couple of times in Ogunquit and the Mousam. Froze myself good last November. When is really the best month? My understanding is very limited but I've heard that the time is low tide outgoing and run small shrimp patterns or bead heads slowly along the bottom in the deeper pools where fish may be holding. So far this has been a flop for me.

I'm sure that one of these fantastic fish would help make the transition out of striper mode much easier.

Thanks,

Bob

#2 ·
When there was a good sea run fishery on the Cape a shrimp worked for me. However, these are trout and are very spookie by nature. Took me two years of the Skunk before I keyed in on them and got two Five Browns in one outing. You got to put in your time. Small sandeels would also work.
FishHawk :smokin:

#5 ·
Bob-

When I lived in Maine, I remember there being a run of fish in the Spurwink River in Cape Elizabeth. I took some from the back reaches of Higgins Beach as well as some deeper pools upwards towards the route 77 bridge.

I can't say that it was exceptional fishing, but if it hasn't changed much over the past 8 years then you might tie into at least a few of these fish.

Good luck.

#6 · (Edited)
spurwink

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I did talk to the guys at the Eldridge Fly shop and they agreed with you. They confirmed that the Spurwink River in Cape Elizabeth is an option and that November and December is worth a try. We'll I'm going to brave the cold this year and after a few trips south chasing the striper migration it will be to the rivers for these guys!

Thanks again.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.