Fly Fishing Forum banner

Warmwater Fly Swap?

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  GuidesForHire 
#1 ·
Anyone intersted?

Number of flies you need to tie wiil match the number of participants, I would like to target 10.

I would also target the end of January for the due date now that the holidays are upon us.

I will tie my favorite yellow popper.

Roop

#5 ·
I guess I'll meister.

Roop - popper
Mark - conehead bunny leach
John - albino dragon - fly
Juro - crayfish
DFix - streamer or nymph (I'd like to see the streamer)
Lefty - yellow & chart clouser

Will update as we grow.

Roop

#12 ·
Yes Doublehaul, every swap we do produces images and recipes in the archive. That way everyone gets to see and tie the flies even if they don't end up getting that particular pattern in the mail. It adds a little extra work to the equation but the returns are ten-fold. I really look forward to seeing all those patterns in the archives!

#14 ·
Let's get going then!!

Looks like we're the only one's who will 'fess up to playing with panfish!!

Let's get started:

1. I will email my mailing address to each participant
2. Please only tie one for each person.
3. I'll distribute.
4. If others want to join in we'll just wait for them.
5. Otherwise, send 'em when you're done, whenever you get around to it.

Thanks guys.

Roop

#16 ·
Men,

I just saw this thread. My first foray into the addiction of fly fishing was on an outing for one of my favorite fish - smallmouth. I have not gone fishing for smallies often enough in the past few seasons but I vow to make amends next year. This swap would be a good way for me to get started on this path.

Count me in for a Whitlock's Sculpin. This is a sweet fly and it will be a good learning experience if I tie it. I have a good story behind it too.

Awesome.

-Mike

#17 ·
Welcome Mike! I'm glad you're in, look forward to checking out your sculpin.

Juro - re: scanning Thanks - I may be able to do it by the time we're done or have a neighbor do it. If not, then I'll dump it on your plate.

I hope this strom front passes through so I can get out on the ponds this afternoon...:cool:

#18 · (Edited)
UPDATED LIST

Total # of tiers: 7

Roop - snake fly (previously popper)
Mark - conehead bunny leach
John - albino dragon - fly
Juro - crayfish
DFix - streamer or nymph (I'd like to see the streamer)
Lefty - brown & yellow clouser
Mike Doogue - Whitlock Sculpin

Roop

#20 ·
Well,

The sculpin is plenty small for a bass to devour. I would say that the bulk of the sculpin body is 1 inch x 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch max. Then there is a hackle for a tail that makes the overall length of the fly 2.5 inches or so. The fly that I am going to copy when I get ready to submit for the swap is tied by an excellent smallmouth fisherman from Virginia. His name is Harry Murray. In days past he was a druggist and he tied flies in his spare time. Eventually his fly tying business overtook his work as a druggist and now he ties flies and guides for smallmouth on the Shenandoah on a full time basis. He has a nice fly catalog and all is well in Harry's world.

He backs this fly for smallmouth and I concur. I have never used his fly (too nice...it is a copier ...a wall-hanger) but I have used similar flies and taken some great bass on it. One memorable largemouth gave me a 5 minute Nantucket sleigh ride in my float tube. It was awesome.

I hope that you guys like the fly.

Later...

#26 ·
Are Roop, minor correction.
I never said Chartreuse, but that might work. The ones I learned are Brown over Yeller to mimic baby sunfish. That's what I meant to say.
We just gotta have a smallmouth clave next year.
I got just the place too.

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.