Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage RPLXI vs XI2

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  titleguy 
#1 ·
For those that have cast both or are in the know or just have an opinion. What is the casting and fish fighting difference between the Sage xi2 and the older RPLXI?

#2 ·
I have both in 8,9 & 10wts. tough question, but, IMHO, here goes. The RPLXi has a bit softer tip than the Xi2. The Xi2 is a rod that seems to have more feeling during loading. They both have a lot of butt strenth for lifting. If you do a lot of travel the four-piece Xi2 can be stowed in its case in luggage. The RPLXi is generally 3-piece, not conducive to sticking in luggage, unless you can get your hands on the 5-piece.

Both great rods. If price is a factor, you can generally pickup a used, but not abused, RPLXi for about half the cost of the Xi2.

#6 ·
Speaking of Xi2

Gentlemen

I have a brand new (never even taken out of the case) Loomis Crosscurrent GLX 9wt that I would like to trade someone for a Sage Xi2 8 wt or 9 wt.

If anyone is interested, pm me and I will send you my phone #. I am in the Boston area. Thanks

#7 ·
Having three of the original RPLX's, I never got used to the i's. Seemed like the tips were too soft to suit me. And I didn't want to have to re-learn to cast the RPLXi. I have heard some say that the tip on the i just gets out of the way when fighting fish so that in essence, you are fighting with a shorter, beefier stick. Three piece vs. four is just something you learn to deal with.

The Xi2 sounds like the better of the two.

#9 ·
Bit late in the day BFWIW I have the 6 through to 10 wt in the Xi2. I buy the blanks and make them how I want them with ceramic guides etc. The 8wt and 9 wt are very good rods. They load up nicely and have plenty of umpgh in the butt section. I purchased my Xi2's just after the RPLXI's were obsoleted. At first I chased around like a mad thing trying to buy the RPLXi blanks but gave up the ghost. I am glad I did. My view is that Sage learnt a ,lot from their previous range of salt water blanks and that the Xi2 is in my opinion the better rod. I prefer not to go backwards.
You may find the old design still and may prefer it. Still a good rod.

Mike

#11 ·
looks like that RPLXi 5pc has a lot of "reserve power in the butt". I like the way the tip (which is only good for casting anyway) folds away so you can really put it to the fish during the fight. The Xi 5pc was really a ground breaking design.

I can only add that the 3PC #11 RPLXi was actually a very good tarpon rod. Soft enough to get a cast off quickly (and in close) and just about unbreakable. A tremendous fish fighter once you trusted it. I like the way the Xi2 casts much better (maybe it is not as strong?), but the Xi was a good rod. Very different.
It is funny, because there seems to be no evolution between the RPLX (a beast), the RPLXi (kinda sweet) and the Xi2 (crisp and sporty). Three different rods.
The other companies coppied the old actions (for good or bad). Winston XTR was very similar to the RPLX and the Scott S3 is (was) similar to the RPLXi. Chasing tails.

#12 ·
I'm on my second RPLXI 3 pc 9 wt having made the first one a 7 pc rod on a very large albie in '04. Great casting rod, but not the lifting power I have in my other 9 wt- original trident 9 wt. I also have a winston xtr 8 wt which I love, great casting and fish fighting machine. Lastly, bought a 10' 6 wt Scott S3S which is my go-to Landlocked rod- nymphing the big Maine river.- It is a cannon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.