Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tow vehicle questions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
My trusty rusty Subaru is nearing the end of it's life and a replacement is due in the next three months. After discussing it over with my wife, we decided that a used minivan might fits our needs.

One of the capabilities that I want from this vehicle is to tow a small boat a couple of years down the road. Besides heavy duty suspension, cooling system and high torque at the low end is there any thing else I should look for in this vehicle? Does anyone have experience with this?

#2 ·
I used to tow a boat with a Ford Aerostar out west. It has a truck chassis and we had the tow package. V8 had plenty of power for a small boat (16' fiberglas / trailer).

Worked out well with small kids, although you had to be careful which ramps you used with 2 wheel drive!

#3 ·
John,
You didn't offer very much info. How big is the boat? Why do you feel the mini-van might meet your needs?

I drag a 17-foot Boston Whaler Montauk around behind a Ford Explorer Sport-Trac (used to tow it behind a Ford F250 Super Duty Power Stroke ) Its the melding of an SUV and a Pickup Truck....4X4; tows 3500lbs out of the showroom; plenty of interior room (5 adults), bed handles 8 bales of hay for our 2 horses; tows the horses and their trailer easily as well able to tow the Montauk (fully loaded) up a MONSTER hill here in Gig Harbor without blinking an eye. Wife loves driving it and, if we had kids, we'd have no problem dragging them around either (unless we were trying to repopulate the planet with more than 4.) Unless you've got a boat >3500lbs and 6 kids, you may find some better options out there besides a mini-van.

#4 ·
Juro, Thanks as always for the advice.

NWFlyFisher, Your right I didn't give a lot of info. I'm sorry for this. The main reason for a mini van is that my wife will drive it most of the time. She has a home day care and would like to take the kids on excursions to parks, playgrounds, etc.

Personally I would prefer to get an SUV. But this is a vehicle for my wife and she will veto it unless it has seats for at least six. I'm going to end up with her old Corolla for a the next four or five years until I wear it out.

The towing question is primarily for info. While I don't have a boat, yet, I know I have no chance of getting one if I have to buy a vehicle to tow it. What I eventually want is a 14-15' skiff with a 15-20 HP motor, and I'm guessing at a trailer weight of ~ 700 - 1,200 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.