Fly Fishing Forum banner

CT warmwater fest

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Adrian and I went out in the 90 degree heat to harass some fish in a central CT resevior....only in CT could the northern lake be called Lower and the southern lake be called Upper....:rolleyes:

Things started well from mid morning until about five o'clock. We had a steady pick of fish, just enough to keep things interesting. I got to check out much more of this body of water than on a previous outing and the structure is impressive. If I were a bass, I'd want to live there. :)

About five o'clock the shadows began to lengthen and we entered a cove with plenty of cover and shade. We went to topwater and all hell broke loose.....for a period of over and hour we were at least getting bit if not hooking fish on nearly every cast. We could have stayed longer, but when is enough enough, especially in that kind of heat?

We ended on a high note....Adrian got his first ever largemouth, and he caught it while I was pushing the boat along back to the launch with the electric motor. A great finish to a great day.

Highlights: Serious verification of some of our fly patterns, catching half a dozen different species of fish, electric motor batteries that are rock solid, and catching an obscene amount of fish with a good friend.

Lowlight: Tempermental outboard....:eek:

Here's a pic of Adrian with his first ever largemouth. Let's do this again sometime, and keep me posted for the carp clave. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mark

Thanks for the trip - a great day out. Brought back memories of "Mad dogs and Englishmen" going "out in the mid-day sun" :D

Hope you do even better tommorow!

Thoughts on the Carp clave are we need a spot where there are plenty of fish to sight cast to - even better find out what time of day they put on the feed-bag. Need to do a bit more recon but I think we'll get it done sometime this summer ;)

#4 ·
Now yer talkin':D

Talking of Tiger Musky - they are stocked in the West Croton reservoir. Guess where I'll be headed once the water levels drop and the bankside open up a bit :D

#5 ·
Great report! Sounds like it was quite a successful trip. Gotta love those hit-per-cast sessions. Adrian -- Congrats on the largemouth bass. It's always fun to add another species to the life list!

Tiger muskies?? Hmm . . . There are a few places around here where they can be caught. In fact, the MA state record (27 lbs) was caught just a mile or so from my house :D

As for a carp clave, I know of a place where there are thousands of willing carp, but they are mostly under 5 lbs and parking is extremely limited. Still, everyone would get plenty of casts at feeding fish and it would be an ideal place for someone to catch their first flyrod carp. Even the little ones put up a great fight on a 5wt!

#6 ·
The next day....

I went back to the resevoir today with the wife for another session and she proceeded to promptly nail fish after her fish with her 5wt that she calls "the whuppin' stick". Well named!

We had our share of panfish and even a few more and larger bass than yesterday. Unfortunately, we also had jetskiers and tubers that had minimal respect for others who were out there trying to enjoy the day. Nothin' worse than a rude jetski hatch....:rolleyes: At least yesterday they were respectful.

But I digress....it was great to see Anne out there enjoying herself. Her first question on the way home: When are we going again? :D

I've attached an image of Anne with one of many crappie that she hooked today. Oh, and Adrian.....the outboard played nice all day long. :)

Attachments

#7 ·
Mark

Good to hear the outboard behaved. Saturday was a day of firsts for me come to think of it - LMB, Pickerel, Crappie.

Maybe one day someone will explain why the latter is spelled one way but politely pronounced another - the double "p" doesn't explain it :devil:

I hit the Housatonic yesterday afternoon but the release schedule has a lot of highly colored water coming down (500 cfs). I managed to tempt a couple of SMB early on and then went to see if the carp were back in their hole. No sign yet - probably wont see much of them until the water levels drop back into the 100s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.